Seweing large panels of ripstop together
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ultra Magnus
(Ultra_Magnus) - F
Seweing large panels of ripstop together on 09/28/2011 12:33:57 MDT Print View

Just a curiosity- does the orientation of the threads of the fabric matter when sewing large panels of ripstop together. In my very limited experience with the material, I've noticed that 1.1oz nylon is more stretchy on the diagonal than it is in line with the fabric fibers. So say I'm cutting large pieces, and to get the best yield of material for whatever project I'm working on requires me to cut some parts at odd angles to the "grain" (lack of a better word) of the fabric, when I sew them together and tension the shelter, will it stretch all wonky?

This is just a hypothetical question. I'm currently not facing this problem right now, but it'd be good to know for future reference just in case it comes up...

Thanks,
BM

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Seweing large panels of ripstop together on 09/28/2011 13:35:52 MDT Print View

Any professional will tell you emphatically "yes!", most likely, but for MYOG, it really depends on what you're making. If we're talking sil, and you're making a tarp, then it can definitely affect strength and the ability to get a good pitch.

If you're making a quilt, or a stuff sack, or anything that's not going to be highly loaded, or need a ton of strength, then the answer is no, it doesn't matter.

On a shelter with a lot of complex panels that are supported? I wouldn't think it'll matter *too* much, but it's going to depend on a panel by panel basis. On an A-frame, I'd say yeah, it's going to affect the pitch a lot. Stretch is a major factor of the sag issues. Although just as big a factor could be the use of polyester thread for a ridgeline seam vs nylon. Nylon will stretch with the seam allowing a better pitch, poly wont.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
sewing on the bias on 09/28/2011 13:45:46 MDT Print View

Bias.

Google for tips on sewing and cutting.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Seweing large panels of ripstop together on 09/28/2011 16:50:37 MDT Print View

> does the orientation of the threads of the fabric matter when sewing large panels of ripstop together
Absolutely!
The orientation of the threads also matters when laying out bits for (say) a tent or tarp. If you don't take this into account the result will not function in the field how you wanted.

Cheers

Samuel C. Farrington
(scfhome) - M

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA
Seweing large panels of ripstop together on 09/28/2011 21:55:56 MDT Print View

Since I'm not a fabric engineer, I look at lots of well engineered tents in the shops, and orient the grain of the fabric the same way on similar panels, similarly placed. It's worked quite well in getting taut canopies. More difficult, has been getting the catenary cuts right. Starting to work on a cuben tent now, and expect it to raise a whole new set of issues, due to the inelasticity of the material. This forum has been extremely helpful with all of the above.