Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rusty Beaver
(rustyb) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 14:57:29 MDT Print View

Yearning for a good nights rest in the back country, I've been pondering options lately. Been using a mummy bag but am curious if a bag like the Katabatic Sawatch combined with a hood would suit me better. I thrash, toss and turn throughout the night. I tend to sleep on my side most though.

If it matters, I'm also thinking something that'll keep me warm down to 25 degrees as my "32 degree" bag seems a little cool for me.

Would love to hear what you all are using and what you have used, etc. Thanks!

Edited by rustyb on 09/27/2011 15:28:03 MDT.

Jeff McConnell
(Catalyst) - F
Re: What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 15:09:10 MDT Print View

I use a quilt with a hat/balaclava and it works great. I toss and turn a lot - all night long. I've enjoyed the quilt much better than sleeping in bags. Just make sure its wide enough and you're good.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
WM Alpinlite on 09/27/2011 15:09:27 MDT Print View

I have the WM Alpinlite and love it. I got it because it's wider than the other WM 20 degree bag (Summerlite?) and I can turn inside it instead of it rolling with me. Works for me.

John McAlpine
(HairlessApe) - M

Locale: PNW
Semi Rectangular Bag on 09/27/2011 15:29:46 MDT Print View

I found that as I got older I could no longer sleep in a mummy bag. I switched to a semi-rectangular bag. I'd been sleeping in the Feather Friends Peguin for a decade. After joining BPL I realized how truly heavy it is. I asked one of the MYOG people on this site to make me a new bag with the same dimensions as the Penguin at a weight of 21 oz. I love to be able to move my legs around and even be able to put my knee out to the side. It's help reduce my tossing and turning.

Tony Campana
(Velodadi) - MLife

Locale: Lowcountry Carolina
Semi Rectangular Bag on 09/27/2011 17:27:09 MDT Print View

Ditto. I could never get used to a mummy because I can't sleep on my back for very long. I purchased a Feathered Friends Puffin semi- rectangular bag and that helped me sleep more comfortably.

I am new to quilts. What should you look for in a quilt that assures warmth and a good night sleep?

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 17:41:40 MDT Print View

Well you described me to a T. I switched to quilts and have not looked back. I do find that a wider pad works better as when my knees go over a standard width pad in a bag it is no big deal but with a quilt there is more chance I will open a cold spot.

I use them all the way down to 0F and have a down balaclava to keep my head warm once the temps get real low.

http://tinyurl.com/3u8tp8x

Bryce F.
(bster13) - MLife

Locale: Norwalk, CT
Switched to quilts on 09/27/2011 18:01:03 MDT Print View

I switched to JRB quilts with their down Balaclava and haven't looked back as well.

If I were to change anything, it'd be to up my benadryl dose to 75mg or go to a hammock and add some weight. Being light is great and all, but if I can't get any sleep, the UL hurt me in the end. GL!

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 18:53:44 MDT Print View

I'm using down quilts that I made, one on top and the other on the bottom --- of my hammock as I rock myself to deep sleep. The ground is make for walking on; not sleeping on :-)

Elliott Wolin
(ewolin) - MLife

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia
RE: What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 19:21:43 MDT Print View

One- and two-person homemade synthetic quilts following the RayWay design, i.e. with "draft stoppers" around the perimeter and a simple footbox, plus a fleece hat if it gets cold. My wife wraps a synthetic vest around her shoulders when it gets cold enough, although I'm in the same quilt and don't need to except when it's really cold (below 15-20 degF). Sometimes we stuff something in the gap between us.

I toss and turn all night, kind of like a rotisserie barbecue...I think it evens out the compression stresses on my tired, old body. I do this at home, too, but not as much.

noneur business
(that_one_dude) - F
re: on 09/27/2011 19:39:51 MDT Print View

Most recently used a Katabatic Pallisade and found it to work pretty well. It's my first quilt although I've been using my traditional mummy bags unzipped like a quilt for a while.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in?" on 09/27/2011 20:11:38 MDT Print View

20F quilt and a 32F quilt spans the year for me. I had a JRB Hudson a while back which was decent, not great, did the job fine but ultimately wasn't wide enough for me. Both my current quilts work better for me and are around 56-58" wide, they're also built with a bit more love and it shows in the quality.

I use a quilt for many of the reasons shared above, they're simpler in design and functionality, work with me and not against me. I'm a pretty solid back sleeper so bags work fine, but the flexibility of use in a quilt is appreciated. The Katabatic pad system looks pretty dialed, perhaps a bit finicky for my tastes but that's just me. I don't find the under straps on a quilt to be absolutely necessary until it starts to hover around freezing or if it's really drafty.

Happy hunting.

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 20:14:03 MDT Print View

QUESTION: "What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in?"

ANSWER: A hammock.

I used to toss and turn no matter what bag or quilt I had. Switched to a hammock with quilts and now I sleep through the night. For me the answer was not a different bag/quilt but a different shelter. YMMV.

-Mark

William Brown
(MatthewBrown) - F

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns
Sycamore on 09/27/2011 20:21:46 MDT Print View

I use a WM Sycamore. It's wide. It's actually so wide that I can find cold spots in it if I move my foot to an unoccupied corner. But it's a thrashers dream and a nice two person quilt for me and the wife in the summer.

James McDaniel
(BigEarth) - F
What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 20:24:27 MDT Print View

Ditto. I'm a side sleeping thrasher and the quilt and a hammock has given me a new perspective and I love it.

Jennifer McFarlane
(JennyMcFarlane) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Bag on 09/27/2011 20:31:35 MDT Print View

WM Caribou for the summer and shoulder seasons. It's wide, and rated to 35,I think. I have had it down to 30 with a MBDown Inner jacket and Smartwool base layers.

Edited by JennyMcFarlane on 09/27/2011 20:33:21 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 20:33:41 MDT Print View

I'm a side sleeper and have no problem with a good ol' mummy bag. Sometimes I wake up with my nose in the side of the hood, but it usually turns with the rest of me and I do move around some.

I found that a pillow made a big difference for sleeping well outdoors-- I couldn't sleep indoors without, so it makes sense.

A hammock works great and provides my best outdoor sleeping experience. I'm a side sleeper in bed, but have no problem sleeping in a hammock on my back. And you can sleep on your side in a hammock with no problem.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
What are you thrashing, tossn' and turn'n sleepers sleeping in? on 09/27/2011 22:22:59 MDT Print View

As a child I learned to take the sleeping bag with me when I turn over. I like being swathed in a lofty down cocoon with the draft collar of my WM Ultralight snugged up tight on cold nights--no drafts!

A warm, thick insulated air pad helps, too. I've had a bit of an adjustment with my 3.5" thick insulated mummy pad from KookaBay, getting used to the 12" wide foot, but finally I'm learning, and it's really luxurious!

It's important to have good sticky lines painted on the underside of your pad, especially with a tent with a silnylon floor. Lines/spots on the floor are not enough. The two together work fine. Unlike other pads I've had, Silnet doesn't stick to the KookaBay pad, but peels off leaving pieces of silicone all over the tent floor. I'm trying a non-silicone sealer next time!

I still toss and turn, but I do a lot less of it on the new pad!

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/27/2011 22:25:19 MDT.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Big Heavy on 09/28/2011 07:04:25 MDT Print View

I'm a side-sleeper that has grown uncomfortable in mummies, so I use a Big Agnes down bag with a wide profile. In relative terms, it's light to me, because I am also way, way "over" the idea of an ultralight pad under me. Full length air pad is my game, 1.75" seems thick enough. Bag is just over 2 lb, pad is 2.5. Eeek, that sure added up!

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
WM Megalite on 09/28/2011 12:54:33 MDT Print View

My WM Megalite has enough girth to make a decent quilt when zipped fully open with the foot of my full length mattress tucked into the foot of the Megalite.

For temps below 30 F. the Megalite has enough room for me to wear either my light down jacket or Thermolite jacket and matching pants down to the low teens in good comfort.

For general nighttime "semi-conscious" thrashing around it's a good choice.

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
MB Super Spiral #1 on 09/28/2011 14:05:50 MDT Print View

After joining this site and weighing all my old equipment, I found my winter bag weighed over 5 lbs. As a tosser and turner I decided that a roomy bag was the way to go. I got the MB Super Spiral #1 in the long, which I didn't need for length but for roomy rolling. Good to 15 degrees and even a bit lower without putting on extra layers and weight of 2.4 lbs. Went down to a around zero with my thermawrap on and heavy wool longies. I was hoping for even colder so I could wear my FF down jacket and WM Flash down pants, but it just wasn't necessary. I used it for two five day trips last winter and half a dozen overnights. It is both roomy and has give and with my years of practice at keeping my nose in the opening while rolling around, it was delightful. I got it for $300 on sale.