Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » DX 40 Pack

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Peichel
(momo)

Locale: Eureka
DX 40 Pack on 09/25/2011 20:38:50 MDT Print View

Here is a pack I made with Dimension Polyant DX 40 fabric. Dyneema, polyester, x-pac combo. Fabric is 6.9oz/yd2.
Pack weighs 16.1oz including water bottle bungees and tenkara rod tube bungees. The removable pocket w/ straps weighs 4oz (it is just a prototype, I will make another lighter). Pack has a hipbelt sleeve to add a padded hipbelt which I probably wouldn't use, i'll see.dx40 3

The back pocket attaches to the loops on the side of the pack. The ends of the webbing are just folded and stitched down the middle of the folds(4 layers of webbing) The tab created just slides in the loop and then the 'barb' created prevents the webbing from pulling out. This makes it easy to add and remove pockets or place straps anywhere they are needed.

Pack has a pad sleeve that fits 4 sections of z-lite pad, the closure for the pad sleeve is a small zippered pocket.

I really want to try some of the heavier bi-axial cuben next ( somewhere around 80g/m2), just need to save some pennies ( a lot of pennies )

I would guess the volume around 35-40L

Pics are from a trip this last week, pack is loaded for 2 day trip.

dx40 2

dx40

dx40 3

Christopher Zimmer
(czimmer) - F

Locale: Ohio
Nice Pack on 09/25/2011 20:57:26 MDT Print View

Nice job on the pack it looks great! How do you like the DX40 compared to the VX07 or VX21?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: DX 40 Pack on 09/25/2011 21:04:52 MDT Print View

Hey looks great Chris. I've seen those types of attachment points on other packs. Great idea that is under used. Versatile.
I like modularity in pack design.

Have you settled on a foam for your shoulder straps?

Wish you could join us next month...

Michael Duke
(mpd1690) - F
Nice Work on 09/25/2011 21:20:55 MDT Print View

Pack looks great. I like the versatility as well. Very nice design

Chris Peichel
(momo)

DX 40 pack on 09/25/2011 21:34:25 MDT Print View

Thanks,
I prefer the DX40 to the lighter weight x-pac fabric, it gets dirty easily but seems extremely durable and I really don't care if it looks dirty. I did a fair amount of bushwacking on the trip and see no signs of wear. The vx07 is too light for my uses, the vx21 is borderline. I spent a lot of time fishing my way up a creek, both in the creek and along it's banks through the brush, all the while wearing the pack because I didn't want to have to go back and get my gear. This is the reason for the removable pocket and lack of side pockets, when the removable back pocket gets trashed I can make another, or if I don't need it for a trip I don't have to bring it.

I really like the versatility of being able to add and remove straps or a pocket depending on my uses. I agree it is a very underutilized method.

BTW I love my tenkara yamame rod.

I am using a 3/8 evazote foam for the shoulder straps.

I wish I could make it on the october trip, I am trying to get a day and a half off to do a turbo overnight to come in and join everyone for an evening.

tyler marlow
(like.sisyphus) - F

Locale: UTAH
sweet! on 09/25/2011 21:57:04 MDT Print View

I love the minimalist look of the pack plus the awesome options for modularity!

I'm very impressed!

Could you post some more pictures of the pocket attachment and the pad sleeve?

Edited: somehow I typed popularity instead of modularity

Edited by like.sisyphus on 11/26/2011 10:14:29 MST.

Christopher Wilke
(wilke7000)

Locale: Colorado
Re: DX 40 Pack on 09/25/2011 22:23:47 MDT Print View

Nice pack Chris! I'm a sucker for the white packs. They show dirt too well but man do they look sharp when clean. That DX40 has a nice feel to it. This should be a bomber pack. Pretty neat system for attaching external pockets. I've been thinking about an alpine pack design that I can backpack in and then use as a day pack for peak bagging. The removable pockets might be a good way to go about that. Is that a coated nylon for the extension collar? Also, how does your top closure strap work? Doesn't look like a buckle but I can't tell from the pictures.

Edited by wilke7000 on 09/25/2011 22:25:00 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: DX 40 Pack on 09/26/2011 07:26:56 MDT Print View

Chris,

There are too many Chris(s) making really nice packs these days! CP, CW and CZ, you guys need to start using initials or nicknames. ;-)

CP your pack is clean, tough, purpose built and flexible.

Our MYOG community is the R & D lab for the larger "label" manufacturers.

Well done!

Party On,

Newton

Chris Peichel
(momo)

DX 40 pack on 09/26/2011 07:50:13 MDT Print View

Thanks for the positive, kind responses.

The extension collar, pad sleeve and inside pocket are all made from 200d coated nylon. 1.1 sil doesn't last for me, I haven't tried 1.9sil yet. I already had the 200d fabric.

The top strap looks a little confusing, but it is just the picture. The fixed side of the buckle is on the shoulder strap side. The fixed side of the strap is on the back, attached to a reinforcement patch. The loose end of the webbing has a plastic loop sewn on which is threaded through the webbing to keep the loose end from flapping around. I have a black whistle with a small cord attached where the reinforcement for the strap is (make's the picture look unclear as to the setup). I have come to prefer to have the top strap buckle on the shoulder strap side.

dx40 pocket

David Passey
(davidpassey) - F - M

Locale: New York City
Re: DX 40 Pack on 09/26/2011 08:17:36 MDT Print View

This looks great! I must be plugged into some MYOG universal trend: I have been planning a very similar pack, based on the Mchale LBP, which has similar modularity.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
nice on 09/27/2011 05:34:26 MDT Print View

Chris,

Nice, clean, tough pack. +1 on the R&D comment. You guys are years ahead of the pack designers in the retail world. Great for stealth fishing. Just need to invent some sort of "sword-like" sheath system to limit the rod set-up time!

Wish I could sew like that.

Fish-on

Dave

Daniel Sandström
(sandstrom.dj)
Very nice pack on 11/25/2011 04:30:02 MST Print View

Cilo Gear inspired?
I'm just about to build a pack out of VX07. It would be cool to get hands on some of that DX40 too. I don't do any cragging and I actually tried ripping my VX07, totally doable, but I actually wouldn't say it's bad at all.

Like the very clean design.
+ On the R&D here. Follow this forum regularly.

Chris Peichel
(momo)

DX 40 pack on 11/25/2011 08:46:49 MST Print View

Thanks for you kind responses.
@David
I typically wear my pack while fishing creeks. I work upstream which is usually the direction I am heading towards for my daily destination. The creeks are almost always brush lined and other then looking a little dirty, the pack shows no signs of wear even though it has been a little abused. It is plenty durable enough, and the weight is reasonable.

Yes, the pack is inspired by cilogear.

I have just redone the shoulder straps on it and so far I like them. I need to get out and test them some more. The new ones are totally removable from the pack.