Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please
Display Avatars Sort By:
Kimberly Wersal
(kwersal) - MLife

Locale: Western Colorado
Re: Re: Lightweight Coffee Cup on 10/02/2011 22:18:12 MDT Print View

I've used the Campbells soup cup, but it is a little small for my coffe-drinking needs, and tended to dribble on my jacket. It does keep your drink warm surprisingly well. I've settled on the GSI cup with the thin neoprene-type sleeve. Holds 16 oz., really keeps a drink hot, and, if I recall correctly, weighs about 2.5 ounces.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
"Old Faithful": cup on 10/03/2011 01:19:26 MDT Print View

For decades I've been using the standard plastic measure-marked camping cup with the inverted "L" handle. It's inexpensive,simple, tough, light and I can measure with it.

In winter I do use a plastic, insulated and closed top mug instead of "Old Faithful".

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
thinlight on 10/03/2011 07:33:35 MDT Print View

I've got some 1/8" thinlight ccf that I'm going to try and wrap my GSI mug w/, shouldn't add more than 0.1 oz by my thinking- we'll see :)

Dan Smith
(DCSmith)
SP600 on 10/03/2011 07:37:52 MDT Print View

While not the litest weight, I really like the SP600 TI mug. For cooking, I have a fourdog stoves TI lid.

For drinking coffee, the 11.3 oz folgers lid with two strategically placed holes does the trick.Folgers snap on 11.3 oz lid, modified by me

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: Re: Re: Lightweight Coffee Cup on 10/03/2011 09:45:21 MDT Print View

When solo I'm drinking out of my pot. But, otherwise I like GSI 1.9 ounce cup w/handle. The fact that they nest is great when I have the kids.

Johnny Duke
(jd1987) - F
campbells on 10/08/2011 19:21:51 MDT Print View

I think the campbells soup cup is a great idea. Light weight with a lid. And insulated. Beware though - while the creamy broccoli does taste good, the smell is tough to get rid of.

Jay Miche
(jaymiche) - F
Lightweight cup on 10/12/2012 08:20:12 MDT Print View

Just picked up the Light My Fire Spill-Free cup for $3.93 at REI Overstock. It's usually part of a kit, but this is sold separately. 2.4 ounces. Compact. Seems to work fine.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Cups on 10/12/2012 08:41:27 MDT Print View

For about 40 years I have been using a simple 12oz aluminum cup that wieghs 1.635oz.

Randy Martin
(randalmartin) - F

Locale: Colorado
+1 on Snow Peak Double Wall 450 titanium cup on 10/12/2012 08:45:59 MDT Print View

Aluminum is a terrible choice for keeping things hot. Nothing worse than making a hot drink and having the last half of the cup be cold by the time you drink it. Titanium is durable and light, just make sure it's double walled.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
hot stuff on 10/12/2012 09:45:47 MDT Print View

I usually only drink hot stuff on snow trips, and then I drink them out of a 1/2 liter Nalgene. In between sips it slides down inside my boot and warms up the boot. Dual purpose.

Mike R
(redpoint) - F

Locale: British Columbia
snowpeak on 10/12/2012 12:23:56 MDT Print View

I haven't read through all the posts, but I'd imagine Snowpeak has come-up a few times. I have a Ti cup from a lightweight Snowpeak pot set. While it's light, it does burn the lips and of course your coffee gets cold F-A-S-T. What I would recommend is the Snowpeak Ti insulated cups: two layers of Ti with a vacuum in-between [thermos style]. They even offer "hot-lips" a little silicon insulator to protect your lips.

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Re: +1 on Snow Peak Double Wall 450 titanium cup on 10/12/2012 12:33:44 MDT Print View

"Aluminum is a terrible choice for keeping things hot. Nothing worse than making a hot drink and having the last half of the cup be cold by the time you drink it. Titanium is durable and light, just make sure it's double walled."

Yeah, it does conduct heat out fairly quickly. Easy to warm up again, though. It does require a bit of technique that involves more slurping than drinking when it's hot. But, few cups can match the weight and durability.

Kenneth Jacobs
(f8less) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: My Cup on 10/12/2012 12:44:14 MDT Print View

Roy

"the Snow Peak lid is one of the worst pieces of crap I ever bought."

I have the same issue with their lid (the seal in particular) and my SP Ti-Double H450 Stacking Mug. What is the other lid you found that fits?

I use the above mug when I don't care about having to carry the extra weight, otherwise I'm now using a Evernew Ti Companion Cup (1.7oz) with a pair of Snow Peak Hot Lips. Fits inside my Evernew 0.9L pot with SP Ti LiteMax stove, fuel canister, LMF Firesteel, mini bic and lightload towel.

The nice part of the Ti Companion Cup is I can pop it back on the burner for a few seconds if I need to heat my drink back up a little. Can't do that with the SP H450.

TIA!

KJ

Edited by f8less on 10/12/2012 12:48:13 MDT.

Brendan Swihart
(brendans) - MLife

Locale: Fruita CO
The American kuksa on 10/12/2012 14:31:38 MDT Print View

Sexy with history. 1.1 oz. Check your thrift stores for any of the melamine stuff. The lids off of old Thermos containers are great as well.cup

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
styrofoam all the way. on 10/12/2012 16:31:50 MDT Print View

get a styrofoam cup, keep it in your cookpot to keep it from crushing. 0.1 oz.
It doesnt get any lighter, cheaper, easier.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please on 10/12/2012 20:12:18 MDT Print View

I would love to have a double-wall Ti cup but I have never been able to justify the expense and they aren't light. A SnowPeak 450 is 4.2oz compared to one of the larger Aladdin insulated plastic mugs that are 4.8oz. $43 makes me wince.

I take an Evernew 400 Ti mug for day hiking with a little Esbit wing stove and a folding Ti spork inside and a foil windscreen. That is great for a hot drink or soup and the point is that I can cook in it as well as use it as a coffee cup. It works with one of the SnowPeak silicone "hot lips" to save my lips. The mug itself is 1.8oz.

I have used plain plastic mugs from GSI and others. IIRC, they are about 2oz and all are cheap.

Years ago I found a plastic cup with a foam cozy that holds 12oz, weighs 2.8oz and cost $0.99. I do like lids to keep the hear in and bugs and pine needles out.

Edited by dwambaugh on 10/12/2012 20:12:58 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Lightweight Coffee Cup Recommendations Please on 10/12/2012 21:38:36 MDT Print View

I never use metal. Either I burn my lips or the drink gets cold fast.

I like the large GSI Lexan cups.

Cheers