Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Hiking Utah slot canyons - Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon

Display Avatars Sort By:
Larry Sullivan
(150mph) - F

Locale: Los Angeles
Hiking Utah slot canyons - Buckskin Gulch and Paria Canyon on 09/24/2011 22:33:35 MDT Print View

This is a two day 21 mile hike in Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness. It starts in Utah, dips into Arizona and a time zone change, then finishes back in Utah. Once you drop in to this deep slot canyon, there's only one place to climb out in over 15 miles! More photos and a trip report on my site PlanetRambler.com

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
This pair were 2 of only 15 people I saw both days, and the only ones going my direction. High in the air, a jammed log shows the height of past water levels.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
There are moments when these subterranean skylit chambers feel mystic and sacred.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
Sun, stone and sand in Buckskin Gulch.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
Without people for scale, it's hard to relate the immensity of these walls.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
A few more hikers returning from an overnight trip to the confluence, which is my destination also.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
As clouds move across the sky, light and shadows flicker through Buckskin Gulch.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
Bizarre and amusing hydraulically-formed Hobbit houses

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
Alien habitats on the Paria River.

Buckskin Gulch, Utah
The Paria River joins the Colorado River at Lee's Ferry, the beginning of the Grand Canyon.

Check out more photos of hiking and exploring in the Western USA on my site 150mph.PlanetRambler.com

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Thanks on 04/24/2012 13:17:13 MDT Print View

Another destination I have to hit.

Andy Duncan
(bluewater) - M

Locale: SoCal
Slot canyons on 04/24/2012 18:20:24 MDT Print View

Beautiful photos (as usual). Thanks for posting!

Jon Fong
(jonfong) - F - M

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR
Paria on 04/24/2012 18:46:28 MDT Print View

I heard that Paria was hit with a couple of big storms over the last few years. From your pictures, it looks pretty passble now. Did you need and ropes for the trip? Where there any deep pools on the way? BEst regards - Jon

BTW, anyone going out in that area should consider going to the Wave. Awesome place.