Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Tents to charity question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Tents to charity question on 09/24/2011 14:17:38 MDT Print View

I have a few backpacking tents I'd like to give away to a good cause. Any ideas?

I hate mailing things so ideally it would be somewhere in Seattle. I could then simply drive there and give them the tents.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Tents to charity question on 09/24/2011 14:18:51 MDT Print View

Scouts come to mind.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Scouts, outdoor church programs, inner city enrichment programs on 09/25/2011 02:42:24 MDT Print View

I'll +1 on the scouts thing. I've given a lot of gear to various scout troops and individual scouts in need over the years. Many BSA councils have some kind of gear loaner program.

Additionally, I know there are plenty of organizations out there that specialize in getting inner city or underprivileged kids out into the woods. Many of these groups use cabins or wall tents, but some might use small backpacking style tents. It's worth looking.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Scouts, outdoor church programs, inner city enrichment programs on 09/25/2011 02:42:28 MDT Print View

EDITED: Double-post. Or maybe I should have left it because I really, really mean it?

Edited by TheFatBoy on 09/25/2011 02:48:26 MDT.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Tents to charity question on 09/25/2011 09:01:49 MDT Print View

Benjamin and Ken,

I'll pursue the Scout route and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Daryl

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Cross Threading on 10/10/2011 21:52:53 MDT Print View

Given the recent thread on Boy Scouts of America I think, if I give these tents to the scouts, I might specify that they are to be used by godless Gay kids.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Cross Threading on 10/10/2011 23:12:43 MDT Print View

The Occupy Seattle people probably need tents : )

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Cross Threading on 10/10/2011 23:14:50 MDT Print View

See if there is a chapter of Sierra Club Inner City Outings near you, or a similar non-SC organization.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Cross Threading on 10/11/2011 09:00:18 MDT Print View

Deborah,

Looks like we do have a chapter:

here

I'll contact them, although it looks like they are mainly into day trips.

Jerry,

The Occupy Seattle website didn't list tents as a wanted item. The short term and probably rough use of the tents kind of turns me off too. Also I'm not sure if I understand what they are proposing so I'm reluctant to blindly support them.

Thanks for the ideas.

Daryl

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Cross Threading on 10/11/2011 09:52:18 MDT Print View

Daryl, maybe they know of some group that could use tents for a similar purpose. I did see one car camping trip on their schedule, but I'm surprised that they don't do more overnighters.

A dear friend of ours helped to start the very first ICO chapter, here in the SF bay area back in the 60's. It was one of his proudest achievements, and he made a big difference in a lot of kids' lives through that organization.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cross Threading on 11/07/2011 20:23:58 MST Print View

dk,

I gave three barely used backpacking tents to the Seattle ICO group today. Katie, from ICO, said they try to do two backpacks per year and they can use the tents.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Daryl