Forum Index » Chaff » Seriously?

Display Avatars Sort By:
jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Locale: Norcal
Seriously on 09/24/2011 22:06:24 MDT Print View

I want the lightest pack. The long-term members (paying or not) on here are so rude that newbies don't want to post. I've seen so many replies be "look in the archives" or "here we go again". The newbies post because they haven't read the stuff, sure, but if they did I don't think they'd post anyway. Maybe that's why we're all butting heads, we're all type a's or something. Not the sit-back shadow-lurking types and will say something when someones rude, or don't care, or don't get our feelings hurt. So seriously don't take everything so seriously.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Re: Re: I'm not perfect on 09/24/2011 22:10:07 MDT Print View

"That ending..."

was perfect, right ken?

noneur business
(that_one_dude) - F
I know, right on 09/24/2011 22:17:37 MDT Print View

A guy posts about a lightweight gun and people jump on him like he is going to shoot up the place and their dog.

You wouldn't do something like that, would you Jen? You wouldn't 'attack' someone, would you?

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: Re: Re: I'm not perfect on 09/24/2011 22:22:35 MDT Print View

Ok, Jen, I say we go for a fresh start. You are not the only one that has ruffled some feathers on BPL. I have done that myself. I do suggest that for a bit you lay low, post on whatever you want, don't go away, but don't go looking for more trouble. Let things mellow out a bit. Know that every casual sentence thown out there has an impact and people either respond in kind, up the ante, or start ignoring .

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Seriously on 09/24/2011 22:22:35 MDT Print View

"The long-term members (paying or not) on here are so rude that newbies don't want to post. I've seen so many replies be "look in the archives" or "here we go again"."

When you post something on the internet, you have to have a thick skin.

Backpackinglight.com is better than most.

Sometimes, someone will post something that comes across more severe or disrespectful than was intended.

Or at least that's how I (Pollyana) choose to interpret people.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Why I subscribe to BPL on 09/24/2011 22:25:30 MDT Print View

I've deleted several paragraphs trying to write this. "Sad" is right. I expect the core community I subscribe for will still be here, long after the thrill-seeking vandals have moved on.

In the meantime, I can look forward to upcoming SOTM reports, and catching up on a couple recent articles I still haven't read.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by DavidDrake on 09/24/2011 22:28:01 MDT.

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Dry side of the Eastern Sierra's
Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm not perfect on 09/24/2011 22:32:53 MDT Print View

"... or start ignoring."

Please stay and contribute as that is what makes BPL so great. Even if your opinions are different than many of the members and guests. I know that Mike C. continually advocates no TP when reviewing gear lists. Hey it works for him and probably others, but it's just not my cup of tea. I think that we should be able to voice our opinions but also understand that some things just don't work for others.

I'm just getting antsy because my "Recent Posts" are filled with chaff. Let's get back to gear reviews, questions, and pictures.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Re: I know, right on 09/24/2011 22:33:06 MDT Print View

"A guy posts about a lightweight gun and people jump on him like he is going to shoot up the place and their dog.

You wouldn't do something like that, would you Jen? You wouldn't 'attack' someone, would you?"

LOL, I'm not anti or pro gun and I explained myself MANY times that I thought that guns were prohibited in state and national parks. THIS is not me attacking. THIS was a serious question. I seriously thought when ppl were talking about bringing guns that they were breaking the rules so I put:

"Parks don't a allow guns for a reason....

Now when I pass someone on the trail I'll wonder if they're "packing".
Is it really common for backpackers to bring guns because I'll start bringing an orange vest.. but how much is that going to weigh me down? I don't want to get shot off the trail while digging my cathole."

The weighing me down and digging my cathole part being A JOKE! Then I was attacked like a million times about things I didn't write or imply. I learned that all the signs I've seen are old and void because gun rights had the park stipulation revoked in 2010. Someone could have said that and I'd have said Oh. But instead I got what I got.

noneur business
(that_one_dude) - F
re on 09/24/2011 22:49:58 MDT Print View

You went on to imply that he wanted to shoot your dog. A joke of course, right?

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Really? on 09/24/2011 22:56:56 MDT Print View

Please show me.

noneur business
(that_one_dude) - F
re on 09/24/2011 23:06:08 MDT Print View

Small mammals is what op wants to shoot. My dog is a small mammal.

Not exact copy paste since copy paste sucks on my phone.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Re: re WANT to shoot my dog REALLY? on 09/24/2011 23:07:59 MDT Print View

"You went on to imply that he wanted to shoot your dog. A joke of course, right?"

This is what I wrote in response to someone implying that I was implying that people are out TRYING to shoot people.

"No firearms. And usually no dogs or fires.

This is not fear that someone is going to purposely shoot me or try to harm me so I'm not planning on learning hand to hand combat or carrying a large blade, this is fear of accidentally being shot while I'm going 100 yards to drop my bear can, "use my trowel" or if i'm in one of the special trails I do bring my dogs they'll get shot. I'm going to guess though that guns on trails is more common outside of california."

Explain?

You see in the end I even IMPLY i don't care anyway because I don't think a lot of people carry guns in cali. Instead of dissipating I got sh1t about no one's going to shoot your dog unless it's rabid.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

If you were a reporter, you'd be fired on 09/24/2011 23:26:13 MDT Print View

This is totally out of context.

"Small mammals is what op wants to shoot. My dog is a small mammal."

This was a response to:
"Nobody is going to shoot your dog unless they try attack them. Put a bright collar on them so people will know they aren't strays. A lot of aggressive dogs have been unnecessarily killed, but it's within the persons right to use some level of prejudice in defending themselves or their family. Still, unless your dogs are rabid, I wouldn't worry about it."

I would think my point would be obviously not that someone would intentionally shoot my dogs but that they are small mammals and look like what someone might be hunting. She looks like a squirrel and likes to hike up and off-trail in brush with her nose to the ground. Granted she stays near me most of the time unless she runs off with her big sister to go swimming. I don't think anyone would take their kids somewhere people might be hunting and they are way more discernabl at a distance.

babies

And sometimes she looks like a bunny rabbit.
nance

noneur business
(that_one_dude) - F
off leash on 09/24/2011 23:39:44 MDT Print View

I guess it didn't seem like a response to the previous poster as he reasonably explained you should not be concerned. But I suppose if you let your dogs off leash you should be concerned.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

How else on 09/25/2011 00:24:29 MDT Print View

can she chase ducks and try to catch fish...

fishingnance

Sorry she's my baby and I like to show her off a bit. She's small, rugged and likes backpacking.

tuckered

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Does Windex take poo off a monitor? on 09/25/2011 00:31:56 MDT Print View

>> What is becoming of BPL?

"I've seen monkey sh*t fights at the zoo more organized than this."
- The Replacements (one of the best movie lines ever)

Here's hoping we have a general improvement in the civility of threads. As an offender, I will try to do my part.

>> Would certain individuals be as "high and mighty" and rude if these were genuine face to face conversations?

Unfortunately, yes. My wife says one needs to build a tolerance for me. She's a saint (who thankfully has never realized she could have done better).

>> You have to be in darkness to appreciate the light. Now we have seen one extreme here it is up to us to show the other. Helpful responses, PIF threads, trip reports. They are still here, but seem to get buried here at times. Promoting the positive.

+1, and Amen.

>> Wow impressive that you can type out of both sides of your mouth.

Here I was hoping we could let sleeping dogs lie. Jennifer, you seem like an intelligent and caring person. I don't agree with some of your opinions, but I do hope to leverage some of your knowledge and experience to better my own outdoor life. I hope you (and others) can find it in your heart to stop looking for fights.

>> hEY i'M NOT PERFECT EITHER.

Well, duh! Still haven't figured out that CAPS Lock key... ;-) I kid, I kid!

>> And Rog, you can read this four times and feel like a jerk.

Was this the dry humor you were talking about? I think you're correct that you're intent and inflection doesn't come through on the internet posts. I would have read this negatively if it were directed at me. Hoping it wasn't intended that way.

>> That ending...

Wasn't. Oh, that it were.

>> I want the lightest pack.

Me, too. BPL place has "enlightened" me to the tune of about 10 pounds, with a lot of critical introspection along the way.

>> The long-term members (paying or not) on here are so rude that newbies don't want to post. I've seen so many replies be "look in the archives" or "here we go again"

I disagree. There have certainly been a few threads gone awry lately, but generally, I still see lots of good information passed forth from the veterans (both members and non-members alike). I still consider myself a newbie. I spent a couple months lurking, then a few months posting as a non-member. Never once did I feel unwelcome, even though I've had disagreements and unpleasant exchanges with some.

>> A guy posts about a lightweight gun and people jump on him like he is going to shoot up the place and their dog.

Ok, but maybe he was. Maybe he's a cat person (evil, evil cat people...). And a non-place person. (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

>> Ok, Jen, I say we go for a fresh start.

Good call, Kat. Jen, welcome to the neighborhood. May you find what you're looking for, and may it come with an uptick in civility from everyone involved.

>> I know that Mike C. continually advocates no TP when reviewing gear lists.

Talk about "think skinned"!

Dirk Rabdau
(dirk9827) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Seriously? on 09/25/2011 00:46:17 MDT Print View

For what it is worth, a lot of threads drift here on Backpackinglight. I am okay with thread drift, but I understand how the lightweight pistol thread spiraled out of control into decidedly nonconstructive dialogue. By the time I jumped in I was merely discussing the topic at hand. I never meant it as an attack on anyone, rather as a clarification of some of the reasons a person might choose one diet over another.

I re-read some of my comments and I can understand how they could be misconstrued. I hope I haven't put off any new members or non-members. Admittedly, it does pain me when it becomes a topic full of vitriol and insinuation.

I guess I rather lead by example than any other way. I learn from all of you on a daily basis. I appreciate all of your comments and the willingness to debate in a civil manner. I am confident if we were to meet on the trail there would be plenty of good conversation, laughter and appreciation for one another.

Dirk

noneur business
(that_one_dude) - F
Serious business on 09/25/2011 00:47:41 MDT Print View

Yea sometimes the internet can be serious business. I'm sure I'd have a great time with any of you in person. Sure Jen, your dog is cute but is he this cute:

edit: okay, either I or BPL fails at getting pictures uploaded.

Edited by that_one_dude on 09/25/2011 00:49:30 MDT.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
easy solution on 09/25/2011 07:09:11 MDT Print View

Since so many have extra energy, I would suggest that it be used in a "constructive" way. I blame this site and all of it's members for giving me too much to think about. I now have too many light weight projects to finish, so I propose that each of the offenders take one of my projects and finish them for me.

Please pm me with your talents and I will assign you a project. The only way to get out of your duties is to get back to the trail and publish your reports and photos.

I will now go off to my day job after sturring the pot.

Enjoy,

Dave

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Serious business on 09/25/2011 08:15:14 MDT Print View

@ Dirk and Ken

Right on! BPL is still a great little place.

I will try harder to accentuate the positive.

Terrible I know but I enjoy being the Ass some times, so no promises.