Forum Index » Chaff » Seriously?

Display Avatars Sort By:
ben wood
(benwood)

Locale: flatlands of MO
Seriously? on 09/23/2011 08:40:21 MDT Print View

What is becoming of BPL?

Internet jockeys going on crazy rants based on their own self-proclaimed superiority of wilderness ethics?

monkeys

Clint Hewitt
(WalkSoftly33) - F

Locale: New England
Hahaha on 09/23/2011 08:50:45 MDT Print View

I just cracked up when I saw this.

It is exactly how I have pictured some individuals sitting at there computer reliving trail moments when they state they got "so mad" when seeing XYZ unethical behavior on the trail.

Priceless

Thanks for the laugh.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Seriously? on 09/23/2011 08:56:03 MDT Print View

"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: Seriously? on 09/23/2011 08:57:35 MDT Print View

Right.
It feels like the dead of winter and cabin fever abounds on the 'net.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Seriously?" on 09/23/2011 10:50:22 MDT Print View

The anonymity of the interwebs lets all the monkeys come out and play does it not? Would certain individuals be as "high and mighty" and rude if these were genuine face to face conversations? Nope, I don't think so.

On that same note, this is the internet, what do you expect vato? Instead of asking why or what? Ignore the chatter, put something good out there into the mix, if more individuals on BPL stopped whining and bemoaning the current state of things and instead shared something of quality and substance (ie. experiences, trip reports, newly acquired skills and insight, etc.) perhaps BPL wouldn't come off as foul as it has been of late.

Just my take.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Locale: Norcal
Textual content vs. verbal content on 09/23/2011 11:05:37 MDT Print View

Sometimes I re-read something four times trying to understand the tone and it ends up being sarcasm. Maybe the rudeness is misconstrued because everything sounds harsher when read by someone that doesn't agree or doesn't like what's being read. I'm personally taken the wrong way often even during face to face conversations. I have a dry sense of humor a lot of people don't understand and sometimes I tell jokes that are not meant to be my own but is a play on a type of person that would say something like that. I usually say bigoted comments as a joke about bigots.

I don't say anything online I wouldn't say in person and frequently discuss religion with mormans, hunting with carnivores and healthcare with replublicans holding a completely opposite view. You can discuss your views civilly, agree to disagree and both parties walk away with something to think about even from the people you view as poo-throwers. Passion and frustration about a subject can lead people to say harsh things but just know it's from frustration not someone trying to be a jerk.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Seriously? on 09/23/2011 11:34:11 MDT Print View

Classic, Doug.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Textual content vs. verbal content on 09/24/2011 05:39:30 MDT Print View

Jennifer says:
You can discuss your views civilly, agree to disagree and both parties walk away with something to think about

This is how things are done between people who treat each other as equals.
On the revolver thread you used this as the subject line of one of your responses:

It's my day off, sure I'll school all of you. Keep the Q's coming...

This kind of patronising attitude is what sets peoples teeth on edge.
You shouldn't need to read this four times to get the gist of what I'm saying.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Textual content vs. verbal content on 09/24/2011 05:49:48 MDT Print View

Passion and frustration about a subject can lead people to say harsh things but just know it's from frustration not someone trying to be a jerk.

Jennifer, I appreciate this comment after a completely different persona expressed herself in a much different way in that other thread. I guess all of us can get a little snarky when too many others come at us online. I think your statement here much more truthfully expresses who you really are. Thanks for that.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Textual content vs. verbal content on 09/24/2011 14:15:26 MDT Print View

"...[A]ll of us can get a little snarky..."

Indeed. The way some of us write, talk, act or even drive... I feel some of us have become more combative much more readily. Speaking as one of the guilty ones, I suspect there is more than the 'cloak of anonymity' at play. Why so much snarling, impatience and emotion? Is it all the connectivity and instant response that we've all become accustomed to -- such that we (or at least some of us) become "piissed" the instant someone or something deviates from our expectations???

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Seriously? on 09/24/2011 14:31:21 MDT Print View

You have to be in darkness to appreciate the light. Now we have seen one extreme here it is up to us to show the other.
Helpful responses, PIF threads, trip reports. They are still here, but seem to get buried here at times. Promoting the positive.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Re: Re: Seriously? Positive? on 09/24/2011 20:22:10 MDT Print View

"Promoting the positive."

"Curious too that all those aforementioned posts are from one day. From a new guest at that."

Wow impressive that you can type out of both sides of your mouth.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Seriously? Positive? on 09/24/2011 20:28:18 MDT Print View

hEY i'M NOT PERFECT EITHER.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Re: Seriously? Positive? on 09/24/2011 21:04:57 MDT Print View

I wasn't going to post....*sigh*

Jennifer, Ken is one of the more levelheaded people here. He's been here a while and people understand him.

You're new. What you just posted was an off the wall, unwarranted attack. You cross-referenced posts simply to take a dig at someone for really no reason. That really, really does not sit well with me.

What is it you're trying to accomplish as a member of BPL?

BTW, I'm sure Ken and anyone else here is quite capable of speaking for/defending themselves....

I'm not even mad. I'm just.....I dunno...sad.

Edited by T.L. on 09/24/2011 21:07:05 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: Seriously? Positive? on 09/24/2011 21:29:02 MDT Print View

I'm not even mad. I'm just.....I dunno...sad.
+1 Travis. Seems like the depths of winter doesn't it?

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Personal stab? Really? Tell me about it. on 09/24/2011 21:30:08 MDT Print View

"Curious too that all those aforementioned posts are from one day. From a new guest at that."

That was all he posted in the thread just to take a stab at someone so please don't critisize me for pointing out that while he advocates peace in one thread he provokes it in another. What is ironic too, is that the rudest people I've read comments from have been from paying members, many boasting about being paying members. This is the fourth time a "real member" has mentioned their "status". Why did he embolden "guest"? To provoke? He got the provocation that he wanted because I happened to see the "guest" post and then immediately read the last post on "really" and saw it was from the same person. I simply wanted to point out that you should practice what you preach.

spelt !
(spelt) - F

Locale: Midwest
What is it you're trying to accomplish as a member of BPL? on 09/24/2011 21:32:00 MDT Print View

I'm curious about this as well.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Fair enough. on 09/24/2011 21:57:20 MDT Print View

Busted.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

I'm not perfect either Ken on 09/24/2011 21:58:46 MDT Print View

Response to Rog:
"This is how things are done between people who treat each other as equals.
On the revolver thread you used this as the subject line of one of your responses:

"It's my day off, sure I'll school all of you. Keep the Q's coming..."

This kind of patronising attitude is what sets peoples teeth on edge.
You shouldn't need to read this four times to get the gist of what I'm saying."

While I was typing a response I'd submit it and there'd be three more posts with more trash talking and questions posed. I thought that subject line was an obvious joke, would actually lighten up the content and welcome questions at the same time. Everyone was coming at me with "you're saying I'm wrong and you can't say that" which I never said. I just was saying WE could be better. I never said I was the perfect example, I didn't cry, I wasn't even angry, I was literally just trying to explain something and enlighten people because obviously most of the people didn't even know what vegetarianism is or how the way things work now is harming the environment.

People were then attacking me because I have and feed my animals. I was getting attacked by people who think all eggs turn into chickens, that vegetarians want to stop wild animals from being dead beat dads, that we want ALL animals to become vegetarians and so much ridiculous nonsense. You think that you think I'm something else? You should try to understand what I took away from that krap. I think a lot of people agreed that things are really bad and there does need to be a change and I'm glad to hear that at least. Progress is progress. And Rog, you can read this four times and feel like a jerk.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife
Re: I'm not perfect on 09/24/2011 22:03:45 MDT Print View

That ending...