Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightest body armor
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Lightest body armor on 09/23/2011 07:37:13 MDT Print View

Since one of the areas I frequent gives out 33,000 deer hunting tags (west side of the
PCT near Tahoe), what would be the lightest body armor that would stop the typical
rifle bullet?

Would body armor be useful in a grizzly bear attack?

How much of the body should be covered to help insure survivability in either case?

Could I make my own from layers of cuben fiber?

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Lightest body armor on 09/23/2011 08:08:46 MDT Print View

Fantastic David! Made me laugh. +1

(but you know, since the Japanese made their armor from layers of paper, cuben might very be a fantastic material to layer into armor. I'd hate to think of the price tag, though...)

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Lightest body armor on 09/23/2011 08:40:32 MDT Print View

Let my arms be your armor.

OK, maybe not, I don't know you that well.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
"Lightest body armor" on 09/23/2011 08:48:07 MDT Print View

Bright orange clothing and lots of noise indicating a human.

Andy Schill
(Aschill) - F
haha on 09/23/2011 09:13:50 MDT Print View

Nice thread.

You're going to need some type of hard ballistic plate to stop rifle rounds. The lightest (most expensive) would be some type of ceramic plate, they are around 8lbs each.

Maybe you can make a plate carrier out of cuben to hold them.

jennifer ross
(jenhifive) - F

Locale: Norcal
I prefer ignorance on 09/23/2011 09:22:14 MDT Print View

Jesus Christ, really 33,000? Are there really that many deer that need to be "population controlled"?

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
body armor on 09/23/2011 09:37:46 MDT Print View

read the newest issue of the New Yorker

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
ultralight chainmail on 09/23/2011 09:46:24 MDT Print View

This is a funny thread that brings back a good memory.

I was hiking in a swampy, tag elder infested area. I lost my balance and could see the beaver sharpened stick heading toward me. My body was saved by the mesh vest I was wearing. I had fashioned this vest to hold my search gear in front of my chest to be more accessible. I then dubbed the vest - the mithril chainmail vest.

Maybe you could fashion one out of Kevlar. It could be the ultra light version of body armor.

Enjoy,

Dave

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

33,00 Tags? on 09/23/2011 10:02:56 MDT Print View

From Fish and wildlife:

Unit 291: Pinenut Mountain Herd; Douglas County
Report by: Carl Lackey

Survey Data
No formal surveys were conducted in this unit. General observations and anecdotal reports indicate this
herd is stable over the short-term but has declined significantly over the long-term.

Habitat
Loss of habitat and access to available and adequate habitat in this unit continue to keep the deer
population at low levels. Expansion of the pinion forest over the past few decades, increased human
recreational activity and increased urbanization on the unit’s perimeter with corresponding traffic have all
contributed to loss of habitat and the decline of mule deer in Unit 291. Significant portions of the unit
contain monocultures of pinion-juniper, much of which is dead. Habitat improvement projects have been
recommended to reduce pinion-juniper. Short of a significant habitat regime change affecting thousands
of acres, the deer herd will not increase significantly in numbers.

Population Status and Trend
There is no modeled population estimate for this herd. This population is believed to be stable, but has
the potential to experience a limited increase under more ideal habitat conditions. Many of the deer,
particularly in the northern part of the management area, are resident deer. Based on buck harvest, the
2010 population estimate for Area 29 was 500 adult animals. It was well below historic levels recorded for the Pinenut Mountains and may well be below carrying capacity. The loss of deer travel corridors due to
Highway 395 traffic and housing development from Topaz Ranch Estates up along the eastern side of
Carson Valley into the unit are the primary cause for this.

Still, it is an area that offers local hunting opportunity with a good buck point-class and decent hunter
success. This was evidenced by demand in the form of 334 first-choice applications for the

79 available resident tags.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Lightest body armor on 09/23/2011 10:17:09 MDT Print View

That's it. I'm inventing a sarcasm font. Some people are so slow.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Neon body armor on 09/23/2011 10:18:05 MDT Print View

Most hunters are very good at what they do but there's some idiot ones out there, even causing other hunters to duck for cover (witnessed once while backpacking north of Phoenix).

While mountain biking, an unaffiliated group of us had hunter problems along a BLM trail east of a large town, as a pair were shooting shotguns towards the trail. We confronted the hunters as a group and the one shooter kept masking us with his shotgun. No concept of firearms safety.

Wearing a mostly blue shirts against the desert background, I really don't see how they missed us, so maybe it was intentionally trying to scare us out of the area, maybe it was being stupid. Maybe adding a loud neon-colored helmet and pack on top of loudly colored BMX bike armor might help,

....maybe solar powered blinking lights, siren, etc..

Edited by hknewman on 09/23/2011 10:25:08 MDT.

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

body armor on 09/23/2011 10:27:44 MDT Print View

"That's it. I'm inventing a sarcasm font. Some people are so slow."

No reason to be mean, I'm sure you have had your moments to.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Re: I prefer ignorance on 09/23/2011 13:23:27 MDT Print View

"really 33,000? Are there really that many deer that need to be "population controlled"?"

For the D zones.

"A" zone is 65,000 (nor cal, marin to mendicino counties.)

Here is the web site for 2011 California deer tags.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/hunting/deer/currentyear.html

Khader Ahmad
(337guanacos) - F

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda
un-UL backpacking armor on 09/23/2011 14:55:01 MDT Print View

http://youtu.be/Q3CzYw5-qdA

It's comfy.

Edited by 337guanacos on 09/23/2011 14:56:16 MDT.

Ken K
(TheFatBoy) - F

Locale: St. Louis
Re: I prefer ignorance on 09/25/2011 12:24:43 MDT Print View

>> Jesus Christ, really 33,000? Are there really that many deer that need to be "population controlled"?

I don't know how many tags were issued last year in Missouri, but opening weekend alone saw just shy of 98,000 deer taken. Unfortunately, we've wiped out the natural predators that would help control the population, so taking this many is necessary. Not doing so would result in an imbalance in the system resulting in other wildlife populations suffering.

In any case, I'd rather have hunted meat than farm-raised meat.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Re: I prefer ignorance on 09/26/2011 01:38:20 MDT Print View

I'm going to recommend at minimum, a full-spectra McHale back piece, errh wait, pack.

=D

=|

=\

!

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
body armor on 09/26/2011 13:55:31 MDT Print View

>> Jesus Christ, really 33,000? Are there really that many deer that need to be "population controlled"?

Heck they HIT that many each year in Wisconsin. (Ban all cars.)

We need a multilayer carbon nano-tube vest to go with that pack Javan. Hmmm, make it a puffy sice it will be cold out by then.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Thanks on 09/26/2011 14:23:30 MDT Print View

"Jesus Christ, really 33,000? Are there really that many deer that need to be "population controlled"?

I really got a good laugh out of this one. Made my day.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Wisconsin cars = deer population control on 09/26/2011 14:31:45 MDT Print View

Quote from the Wisconsin DNR website:

"Deer-Vehicle crashes continue to be a major concern for Wisconsin motorists. Annually, approximately 45,000 deer are salvaged with permits or removed from roadways by DNR contractors."

"In two Wisconsin counties, motor vehicle-deer crashes outnumbered non-deer crashes. In Green Lake and Shawano Counties, more than half of all police-reported crashes involved deer in 2010."

VROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM KERTHUNK KERTHUNK.........F&*#!!!

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Wisconsin cars = deer population control on 09/26/2011 14:41:37 MDT Print View

Fun Wisconsin deer hunting facts:

In the last decade, Wisconsin harvested an average of 482,645 deer each year.

Around 800,000 hunters take to the woods.

There are more deer hunters in Wisconsin than ALL but 16 countries' total military forces. Wisconsin hunters sit between Israel and Indonesia for number of armed forces. That includes Active, reserve, and paramilitary numbers, as per WIkipedia. If you only look at active military numbers, we sit right behind the Russian Federation at #6 in the world.

And I do believe there are a few states whose numbers are even greater than Wisconsin.

Wisconsin boasts the nation’s largest single season deer harvest ever recorded: 615,293 in the year 2000.

Deer hunting contributes approximately $1 billion to the state's economy annually.

Since the venison donation to food pantry program began in 2000, hunters have donated more than 73,000 deer which were processed into over 3.3 million pounds of ground venison.

Edited by T.L. on 09/26/2011 15:10:56 MDT.