Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Overnight in the Washington Cascades - What do you suggest?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Robert Burke
(coastiebob) - MLife

Locale: Wishing I was Backpacking
Overnight in the Washington Cascades - What do you suggest? on 09/22/2011 07:51:44 MDT Print View

Hey Folks,

I am in the Tri-Cities this week and have a chance to do a Saturday-Sunday in the Cascades. Might even meet some friends and take them with. Is there an overnight to a scenic lake or amazing mountain view that you would recommend? I was hoping to stay under 20 miles round-trip.

Thanks!
Bob Burke

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Overnight in the Washington Cascades - What do you suggest? on 09/22/2011 08:08:44 MDT Print View

South Teiton / Surprise Lake on the East side of Goat Rocks.

This is really nice, alpine, a bit closer to you

Description at http://www.portlandhikersfieldguide.org/wiki/South_Tieton_Hike

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
eek, 20 miles on 09/22/2011 16:09:42 MDT Print View

Eek Bob, the logging road to my house is 20 miles long. Ok, I made that up, Mt Adams is one of the nearest Cascade destinations, but it would be an outstanding weekend to visit Mt. Rainier.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Overnight in the Washington Cascades - What do you suggest? on 09/22/2011 18:22:57 MDT Print View

Mt. Adams may be geographically closest to Tri-Cities (I used to live there), but you have to drive to the west side of White Pass (still having construction delays) or down to the Columbia Gorge (Trout Lake, sorry for previous error!) to get there because the Yakama tribe owns the whole east side of the mountain. The Goat Rocks (Tieton) would be a lot closer for driving time and it's a really spectacular place. So would anything up WA 410, including the east side of Rainier. You could backpack the PCT from Chinook Pass south to American Lakes and back. Or you could climb Mt. Aix from the Bumping River Road. Or backpack to Cougar Lakes from Mesatchie Creek. Be prepared for rain Saturday night and Sunday.

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/22/2011 19:46:14 MDT.

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Overnight in the Washington Cascades on 09/22/2011 20:31:25 MDT Print View

From the Tri-Cities, it might be as fast to stay on I-90 to Cle Elum and hike north along either Lake Katchess or Cle Elum Lake into Alpine Lakes.

At least this would be all interstate. Otherwise, I'd focus on 410 (like Mary suggested above).