Forum Index » Chaff » Ads inbetween Forum Posts

Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "Ads inbetween Forum Posts" on 09/30/2011 09:11:06 MDT Print View

I have often wondered about storing photos. They must take up a lot of space and take time to load. I post on one other forum and all photos are linked from places like Webshots, picasso, etc.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Ads in between Forum posts on 09/30/2011 09:47:42 MDT Print View

The ads are of no interest to those who have paid their money but reside outside of the USA.

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Ads in between Forum posts on 09/30/2011 09:59:19 MDT Print View

Frankly, I believe that these as are mostly of no interest to all of us- just the least obtrusive way to help pay for the website.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Ads in between Forum posts on 09/30/2011 10:07:49 MDT Print View

"Frankly, I believe that these as are mostly of no interest to all of us- just the least obtrusive way to help pay for the website."

+1

Scott Brooks
(cyclewacko) - F
Turn Ads of for Members? on 09/30/2011 10:30:22 MDT Print View

I think the only people with a legitimate right to complain are the (paying) members. Perhaps the ads can be turned off for them? I've seen some forums that do this.

Scott

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Re: Re: Ads in between Forum posts on 09/30/2011 10:31:48 MDT Print View

""Frankly, I believe that these as are mostly of no interest to all of us- just the least obtrusive way to help pay for the website.""

+1

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Turn Ads of for Members? on 09/30/2011 10:51:19 MDT Print View

"I think the only people with a legitimate right to complain are the (paying) members. Perhaps the ads can be turned off for them? I've seen some forums that do this."

I am a paying member. I bought a M-Life membership, because it looked like BPL was strapped for cash. So it was a $100 investment/gamble because I like BPL. I did it only for my own selfish interest.

The reality is that ads or something similar are going to be required to keep BPL in the black. And members are probably going to have to be among those who see them. The alternative is probably no BPL.

So I don't mind the ads, as long as there are no annoying pop-ups. To be honest I do not like them interspersed in the threads. I would prefer a banner-like spread at the top of the page. That would provide more information on the advertiser, and members maybe more likely to click on them. For Ryan to make money on the ads, he is going to need interested buyers to click on the ads. And being ethical members, we should only click on ads if we are truly interested in the product. To simply click on ads to help generate income is not ethical to me.

I know people are going to complain about any kind of advertising. But hey, there is no free lunch.

Justin Reigle
(jreigle) - F - M

Locale: SF Bay area
bandwidth? on 09/30/2011 16:58:26 MDT Print View

Perhaps I'm naive to BPLs specific hosting and bandwidth situation, but hosting plans featuring unlimited storage and bandwidth are readily available (I use one personally). My outlay is about $15/month.

Rebecca Ribbing
(joyfulmama) - F

Locale: Alexandria, VA
Amazon on 09/30/2011 18:12:16 MDT Print View

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but have you guys thought about setting up as an Amazon Affiliate? I frequent another site that asks all it's members to click through their link if they are going to buy things on Amazon. It's been very worthwhile for them and this site is much bigger. I don't know about anyone else, but I buy a fair bit through Amazon, and I think they pay about 2% of total purchases within 24 hours of clinking on their link.

I don't mind the ads that much, but as others have pointed out, people have to actually click on them. Amazon may be a good way to augment at the very least.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
"Ads inbetween Forum Posts" on 09/30/2011 18:27:19 MDT Print View

FWIW, they don't bother me, the way they are now. Bigger, louder, flashing, moving ones might bother me, but this has been mild and kind of entertaining.

Clayton Mauritzen
(GlacierRambler) - M

Locale: NW Montana
Not so bad... on 10/03/2011 12:19:40 MDT Print View

At first, I'll admit, the ads were jarring. I didn't like them (and still don't). +1 on removing them for members.

But, after reflection, I'm okay with them. Most websites that I frequent have ads, and most are far more annoying and obtrusive than BPLs. I still go to those websites because of the quality of their work, and I accept the ads as a minor compromise for the sake of a larger goal.

I'm old enough now that I can no longer demand ideological purity from myself or others. We are entrapped by the larger structures of our world, and we escape what we can when we can (thus, backpacking). But the world is still there, wilderness is still disappearing, and our world climate is changing--no amount of trip reports will solve that.

However, we are still capable of change (hopefully, for the better), and BPL has been a source for me as I re-discover and re-search for simplicity and beauty. If it takes some mildly bothersome ads to keep that alive, I'll accept that compromise for the sake of the larger prize.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Ads inbetween Forum Posts on 10/04/2011 16:55:50 MDT Print View

"Shop Douglas products at GearBuyer"

Wow, how did you manage that one Doug? Probably shouldn't ask.

I would probably not use these ads to buy anything, because they appear irrelevant, but if BPL could work something out with some of the cottage gear companies and other retailers, then I would be happy to click through BPL for those places. If there was a single page with gear links, that would be quite convenient and unobtrusive and especially useful for all of the people who discover cottage manufacturers through this site - and mutually beneficial to the manufacturers as to boot.

John Abela
(JohnAbela) - MLife
Re: Re: Ads inbetween Forum Posts on 11/06/2011 10:52:40 MST Print View

Not that it really matters much, but I suppose I will have my say on the matter.

To me they were beyond annoying. I say were because I blocked them with an advertisement blocker.

I remember it being say that these advertisements would not "Be reasonably unobtrusive", yet on a recent post I was reading that was talking about a NeoAir, right below the post was an advertisement that had 5 advertisement links, and a total of 6 lines of text. The advertisement consumed more screen space than three posts by BPL members.

It was at that point that I blocked them - I no longer felt bad about it. I was willing to endure them when they were a single line, but when advertisements start consuming more screen real estate than legitimate posts, it moves into the unacceptable factor for me.

I fully support those who have already said that paying members should not be displayed advertisements.

I own multiple dedicated servers which I pay a pretty penny for every month and I pay even more money every month for multiple managed dedicated servers. I am fully aware of how much a website the size of BPL costs (if it is/were managed properly) to operate and there is no possible way that the list of members I see that are yearly paying members cannot pay the costs involved in keeping a dedicated server online - with an excessive amount more bandwidth than BPL could possibly consume.

Any such statement(s) that BPL yearly membership cannot cover the costs associated with a properly managed yearly budget required for dedicated servers is nothing more than fabricated mis truth and would begin to fall under the realm of raising questions of whether this is about generating funds above and beyond just needing to cover the operational expenses of the website itself - if the stated goal of monetary advertisement revenue goes beyond simply covering the yearly expenses of keeping the backpackinglight.com website itself online. If the advertisement within the forums are an extension of advertisement revenue carried over from Backpacking Light Magazine and/or other Beartooth Media Group divisions and are being used for cash flow issues above and beyond the expenses occurred by the website hosting itself than that is another matter all in and of itself of course.

My suggestions to the powers-that-be: (1) bring them back under control and stop them from consuming such a large amount of screen real estate, (2) allowing paying members the ability to not have them be displayed, and (3) provide tighter integration between your magazine advertisers and the BPL forums, rather than using a third-party Service for advertisement serving. I for one would much rather see advertisements from companies I see listed in your magazine than some third-party provider.