Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Tips for sleeping on foam pad

Display Avatars Sort By:
Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 10:32:18 MDT Print View

Does anyone have any tips on how to sleep comfortably on a closed cell foam pad? I tend to toss and turn on one and do not want to go to a heavy inflatable pad.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 10:40:25 MDT Print View

The only thing that ever worked for me was to be young

But that train left the station years ago:-)

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 10:47:55 MDT Print View

Put it on as much duff as possible.

Other than that my best advice is to put an inflatable torso pad on top!

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 10:50:52 MDT Print View

Try scooping out a depression in the ground (or find a natural depression) for your hips/behind. Seems to make a big difference for me.

Edited by Lancem on 09/21/2011 10:51:54 MDT.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
tips on 09/21/2011 11:55:42 MDT Print View

Sleep on it as much as possible. Once you get used to it, your body will find it fine.

I've never used anything but a foam pad. The few times I've tried an inflatable, I find it TOO soft and pliable.

So, I really do think it is what you are used to.

William Chilton
(WilliamC3) - MLife

Locale: Antakya
Re: Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 12:05:25 MDT Print View

Sleep on a hard bed at home. At home we have a wooden bed with cotton filled mattress, no springs, and my wife and I both prefer a foam mattress when camping.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 12:10:50 MDT Print View

I found the problem was having a pillow, not the pad. With a good pillow I can sleep on the most basic pad.

The real cure is a hammock. Can't beat it.

Edited by dwambaugh on 09/21/2011 12:12:11 MDT.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Tips for sleeping on foam pad on 09/21/2011 12:29:25 MDT Print View

Same situation as Jim. As I've gotten older, my hips have gotten more sensitive. Over the years, I've gone through a progression of pads, from none at all, to blue foam, to old-style Thermarest, to Thermarest LE (2" thick and almost 2 lbs.), to POE Insulmat Max Thermo (2.5" thick and 17 oz.), and now a 20" x 60" x 3.5" thick insulated air pad from Kooka Bay. The last, by the way, in mummy style, weighs only 12.8 oz., proving that you can get comfort and warmth without paying a weight penalty.

Some folks like the NeoAir, but I never was able to get comfortable on the horizontal baffles, and I started shivering at 40*F. The NeoAir is also expensive. My custom Kooka Bay pad was about the same price!

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/21/2011 12:31:49 MDT.

Casey Balza
(equals) - F
Pillow on 09/21/2011 13:02:20 MDT Print View

Yeah I think a pillow will help out a lot. I've been using my down coat and whatever else I had for a pillow but things end up getting scattered through out the night and come undone.

So I think I will try the pillow route next time I go backpacking. I love the simplicity of a foam pad, quick to deploy, put away, and indestructible. I guess I will also just have to wait till I get used to it as well.

Thanks for the input everyone.