Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011
Display Avatars Sort By:
Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011 on 09/20/2011 21:52:03 MDT Print View

I finally got around to writing a trip report for a Wind River Range Traverse (Big Sandy to Green River Lakes) I completed last month.

Check it out here: http://genuflector.blogspot.com/2011/09/wind-river-range-traverse.html

I'm new to writing trip reports so please provide honest feedback (positive or negative) here or on the blog. Thanks!

Winds

Dylan Snodgrass
(TrueNorth)

Locale: San Francisco, CA
Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011 on 09/20/2011 22:04:01 MDT Print View

Sweet!

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011 on 09/20/2011 22:04:21 MDT Print View

Hi, Justin.

Great report. The Wind River Range is one of my favorites. Early September is my preferred time for missing all those mosquitoes!

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011 on 09/20/2011 23:32:11 MDT Print View

Great report! In a normal year (this wasn't!), the bugs are pretty well gone by mid to late August.

I had to cancel my trip this year (dog surgery and family issues), but you have great pics of some of the places I was going to (Spider Lake, Wall Lake)!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011" on 09/21/2011 12:25:44 MDT Print View

Bump.

This is a great read.

David Passey
(davidpassey) - F - M

Locale: New York City
Re: Wind River Range Traverse - August 2011 on 09/21/2011 14:35:04 MDT Print View

Justin--what dates did you go? I was planning a similar trip for August 8, but out of fear for mosquitos/snow packed passes, I went south to southern Utah instead. (I was planning on taking my sons, and was concerned mostly about clouds of mosquitos ruining the trip for them and, possibly, me).

Justin Baccary
(justin.baccary)
Dates on 09/21/2011 15:56:02 MDT Print View

David, I was there the last week of August. I didn't have any issues with snow; I detoured around a few steep snowfields near Cube Rock Pass, but that was about it. The bugs, on the other hand, were pretty terrible, particularly around dinner time until after dark. I put up with the bugs as long as I could but typically retired to the relative safety of my bivy early. I wished for my Tarptent on more than one occasion.

If you've never been to the Winds, please do yourself a favor and plan a trip. You won't be disappointed.