Forum Index » Winter Hiking » Advice on Women's Boots

Display Avatars Sort By:
w s
(caniwi) - F
Advice on Women's Boots on 09/19/2011 15:06:15 MDT Print View

Hi everyone,

I am just getting into the sport here in New Zealand and I am trying to find out which boots to buy. I have narrowed down my list to a few of the usual suspects plus a few new ones. I would greatly appreciate any input as we have limited brands down here and I need to order from America. I will be using the boots for snow hiking with crampons and a bit of walking on volcanic rock.

La Sportiva Makalu
LaSportiva Glacier
Mammut Monolith Gore-Tex
Asolo Lothar Gore-Tex
Kayland Women's MXT
Kayland Women's Apex Dual Mountaineering
Garmont Tower
Asolo Alpinist Gore-Tex

Also any suggestions on ice axe length? I am 5'4 (164cms)

Many thanks in advance

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Advice on Women's Boots on 09/19/2011 15:24:48 MDT Print View

I can see huge potential here for a lot of pain and suffering. This can be avoided.

Step 1: Get your feet measured on a Brannock device. Good shoe shops have them. Do this while wearing some thick socks. Record both the size and the width.

Step 2: ONLY consider boots which have the required width. No matter how nice they look, do NOT consider boots which are any narrower.

Step 3: Add one full size to the value given by the Brannock device. Your feet swell when they are working. Women are notorious for buying shoes which are too small.

Step 4: Invest in some nice thick wool/blend socks. I like darn Tough Vermont, but Thorlo are also good.

Cheers