Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana on 09/16/2011 17:56:40 MDT Print View

On the Idaho, Montana border.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/sep/16/grizzly-bear-shot-death-after-killing-hunter/

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana on 09/24/2011 16:41:05 MDT Print View

grizzly-bear-shot-death-after-killing-hunter/

Not exactly...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44648280/ns/us_news-life/#.Tn04SOwUrK0
Franco

Ian Luschin
(iluschin) - F

Locale: Ohio/PA
"Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana" on 09/24/2011 18:11:31 MDT Print View

Thanks for clearing up that BS.

Daryl Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana on 09/24/2011 20:55:57 MDT Print View

Franco,

Thanks for the follow-up. This is a complicated and tragic tale.

Sounds like the 20 year old made two errors that turned fatal for both bear and hunting partner. It will be hard for him to live with these errors, in my opinion.

My dad bought me a 30-30 when I was 10 years old and I hunted with him and his partner for 5 years or so. I was too young to own a gun. I almost shot my dad and his partner when a deer ran between us. I got over excited and just started shooting. I'm thankful that it wasn't my name in this article.

I gave up hunting after I got out of the Marine Corps. I realized that I was just doing it to please my dad. I had no interest in killing anything.

Daryl

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana on 09/24/2011 21:04:40 MDT Print View

"I gave up hunting after I got out of the Marine Corps. I realized that I was just doing it to please my dad. I had no interest in killing anything."

How true! Same with me. I gave up hunting after I got out of the Army.

--B.G.--

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Another Grizzly bear attack fatality today in Montana on 09/25/2011 17:28:42 MDT Print View

Some of my cousins hunted. Usually for hares and chamois but also the occasional marmot.
In truth none of them did it for food , it was something that had been done for generations and obviously it started as a food source.
At the age of 16 I joined and anti-hunting league. Eventually they managed to almost eliminate hunting and to have several species fully protected.
Unfortunately in the meantime we pretty much exterminated all eagles (I used to see them growing up) but up in the village now deer (both the red and roe types) are often seen, in fact one visited my brother's garden just a few days ago.
Ibex is also plentiful and chamois are also increasing.
Never saw (on our side of the border) any deer or ibex when I was there. (they all since crossed over from Switzerland).
This is how my brother shoots ibex :
Ibex 1
ibex 2

Most likely the heard shot is inside Switzerland but the other side of that ridge would be Italy.
Franco

Edited by Franco on 10/03/2011 05:24:25 MDT.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
bullet ricocheted on 09/29/2011 09:37:49 MDT Print View

Update-

"Investigators have indicated to her family they believe the bullet likely hit the bear first"

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/sep/24/gunshot-killed-hunter-during-grizzlys-attack/