Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Lightest quilt/top bag?
Display Avatars Sort By:
george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Lightest quilt/top bag? on 12/17/2006 10:47:41 MST Print View

Can anyone tell me what the absolute lightest quilt/top bag is out there. I'm looking to try this system for sub 4 pound summer hiking but don't know where to start.

Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Lightest quilt/top bag? on 12/17/2006 13:16:33 MST Print View

Hey George,
Here ya go.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/ssn/GearDB/pc/Sleeping%20Bags/Top%20Bags,%20Quilts,%20and%20Wearable%20Sleep%20Systems/index.html

This is from a quik search on this site.
The Mount Laural Devotion $175 and the Nunatak Ark Edge $283.
Both weigh 11 ounces.
I belive there is a top bag out there that weighs 10 ounces, but it will give you much less coverage than the 2 above.

Nathan V
(Junk) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lake State
Lightest quilt on 12/17/2006 16:21:06 MST Print View

It's funny, as I was just searching for the lightest summer quilt that I could find too. I came up with the Nunatak Arc AT. It's a 3/4 length summer quilt to be used in conjuntion with a jacket. It's about exactly what I was looking for. If I remember correctly it weighs about 8 oz and is rated at 40 degrees. I plan on ordering one to try.

john Tier
(Peter_pan) - M

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA
Re: Lightest quilt/top bag? on 12/18/2006 06:57:04 MST Print View

It is not the pure lightest...but the JRB Stealth quilt at sub 15 ounces and being a wearable insulation layer you can save weight on a total basis. Find it here http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Stealth.htm

I'm biased though.

Pan

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
3/4 AT on 12/19/2006 17:13:48 MST Print View

Thanks folks. Nathan I saw the 3/4 AT also. Looks interesting at 8 ounces. This is my 1st attempt at the top bag thing so I'll only be using it in the summer on the AT, so even the lightest of bags will suffice.