Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Locale: Northeast U.S.
Seeking Raingear Recommendations on 09/15/2011 15:02:49 MDT Print View

Hi,

In search of recommendations on raingear that fits these general requirements:

- around $100
- 4 season use (mostly fall/ winter in NE US)
- durable WPB material yet reasonably lightweight

Popular BPL Reader Reviews (not necessarily 4-season, though):
- Driducks rainsuit: inexpensive, lightweight, fragile
- 02 Rainwear Rain Suit: more durable than Driducks
- Marmot Precip: most durable of these three, reports of wetting in extended rain

Any other recommendations?

Edited by nkline on 09/15/2011 18:30:53 MDT.

Andy Schill
(Aschill) - F
TNF Triumph Anorak on 09/15/2011 15:11:57 MDT Print View

I've been using a North Face Triumph Anorak for about a year now and so far so good.

- Lightweight
- Breathes pretty well
- Doubles as wind jacket

If you look around, you should be able to find them for around $100

Gabe P
(Gabe) - MLife
Seeking Raingear Recommendations on 09/15/2011 15:34:15 MDT Print View

NM

Edited by Gabe on 09/15/2011 15:40:29 MDT.

Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
Seeking Raingear Recommendations on 09/15/2011 16:49:52 MDT Print View

Ive heard good things about pertex sheild jackets and you can find them on sale for about 100. I purchased an OR revel which is a pertex sheild based jacket but have yet to use it in heavy rain. although all the reviews of the golite Tumalo, another pertex shield jacket, have been positive but its fairly new so there are no long term reviews on it yet.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
4-season? on 09/15/2011 17:31:08 MDT Print View

Others might chime in with actual experience, but to me those 3 choices seem like they'd underperform if you are going to use them 4-seasons in the north east.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
How about $129.99? on 09/15/2011 18:22:20 MDT Print View

Cabela's sells their GTX PacLite Rainy River parka for $129.00. I have had one for 5 years (then $89.99) and it still is in great shape after a lot of use.

Two weeks ago I got an REI Kimtah light eVent rain parka on sale for $159.00. It's features are exactly the same as the Cabela's PacLite parka so you can see that Cabela's has a good design.

P.S I saw the Cabela's parka on sale recently.

Edited by Danepacker on 09/15/2011 18:23:10 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
use on 09/15/2011 19:30:46 MDT Print View

will you be continuously hiking in it, or bushwhacking.scrambling .... or is it more of a just in case piece .... and youll normally use a windshirt/softshell?

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Raingear cabelas and Precip on 09/15/2011 20:06:44 MDT Print View

I've had a paclite Cabelas Rainy River for a couple of years. Great price for paclite and often on sale for less than $100, but no underarm zips, which I consider essential. I have the old version of the Precip and it is a great jacket with great features except in cold pouring rain, when it wets out or condenses inside. The newer current version of the Precip is supposed to be better. I wouldn't want to rely on the DriDucks for New England weather.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
eVent on 09/15/2011 20:45:54 MDT Print View

Rab Momentum (or the Demand smock) and Westcomb Specter LT hoody are lightweight eVent options that are well regarded. The Momentum can be picked up cheap currently off EMS or DoG in many sizes. Prolite has the Specter on sale but only has size small left.

Steofan The Apostate
(simaulius) - F

Locale: Bohemian Alps
Big sale at cabelas.com on 09/15/2011 21:03:24 MDT Print View

You might head over to their 50th Year Sale and look through the raingear. I'll check it out later... right now the dog is insisting that we go for a walk.

Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Thanks on 09/16/2011 09:42:09 MDT Print View

I really appreciate the help so far, guys. Still researching my options.

@Eric Chan: when needed, this raingear will be layered over a baselayer + fleece + down jacket and used for moderate hiking, sitting in camp, and light bushwhacking.

Ceph Lotus
(Cephalotus) - MLife

Locale: California
Keep on eye on Gear Swap on 09/16/2011 09:55:43 MDT Print View

Keep an eye on the Gear Swap forum here on BPL. You can get good deals on used items, and get stuff you normally couldn't afford brand new. I got my Westcomb Specter LT rain jacket from there.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Seeking Raingear Recommendations on 09/16/2011 10:30:28 MDT Print View

I had a Precip I bought new last December--returned it to REI after a few months because it would wet out in just a couple minutes, even in light rain. Exchanged it for a Patagonia Torrentshell, which on sale was actually a bit cheaper. So far I like the Torrentshell--doesn't seem to wet out, even in a heavy downpour (that only lasted about 1/2 hour, however). Neither Precip or Torrentshell breathe particularly well (you get what you pay for) but both seem durable and well made for the price--Torrentshell is a little better build quality, I'd say, but I preferred the way the Precip fit around the hood and neck. My rainshells see the most actual use around town and downhill skiing in the winter, layered over a fleece, so I really don't demand much from them. I think I'll be transitioning to Driducks and windshirt (which I use anyway) for backpacking, as the rainshell is more of a just-in-case item for me.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F - M
heavier on 09/16/2011 10:35:23 MDT Print View

nicolas ...

id go for something a tad more durable and heavier then around the 10-14 oz mark ... bushwhacking tends to be hard on the lightest UL rain jackets

i have and use an OR revel jacket made of 40D pertex shield ... not the most durable but more than most very UL jackets ... the fabric is not the most breathable either, however the excellent ventilation of the OR side zippers make up for it .... i got it for less than $100 .... you should be able to find it fairy cheap around the same price

http://www.spadout.com/p/outdoor-research-revel-jacket/

you could get something quite light like a OR helium or a marmot mica for that price range ... however im not too sure how it will last with some bushwhacking the the occasional slide in the snow ... also id want something with pit zips or made of event for winter... i use my helium generally as a "just in case" shell when climbing

Edited by bearbreeder on 09/16/2011 10:36:21 MDT.

Brad Walker
(brawa)

Locale: SoCal
Momentum on 09/16/2011 11:49:13 MDT Print View

Personally I'd be all over the Rab Momentum @ $155 if I didn't just buy another hardshell recently: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4346032

No pit zips and heavier than the 6-8 oz heliums, micas, etc. But with 3 layer eVent you should be good to go for 4 seasons at a great weight.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
OP on 09/16/2011 23:13:58 MDT Print View

looking at your original criteria, the cabela's paclite at $69.99 right now is probably your ticket...

Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Thanks again on 09/17/2011 08:44:48 MDT Print View

I decided to go with Cabela's Paclite Rainy River Parka & Pants. The good reviews, discount, and Paclite quality influenced my decision. An eVent jacket & pants were just out of my price range even though I would love to have them.

$70 for Parka (regular $130) 46% discount
$70 for Pants (regular $110) 36% discount
+ No tax + 50 cent shipping = $140 total (regular $240) 42% discount

So, I saved $100. Hopefully I will be satisfied with my new rain gear. Thanks again, everyone, for your help :-)

Edited by nkline on 09/17/2011 08:48:44 MDT.

Kier Selinsky
(Kieran) - F

Locale: Seattle, WA
Re: How about $129.99? on 09/17/2011 10:34:16 MDT Print View

what's the weight on the Cabella's Paclite?

Nick K
(nkline) - MLife

Weight of Cabela's Gore-tex PacLite Rainy River Parka & Pants on 09/18/2011 11:17:29 MDT Print View

On my scale, a size medium regular weighs:

Parka: 14.65 oz
Pants: 10.55 oz

Edited by nkline on 09/26/2011 17:59:41 MDT.