Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Spinnaker guidance needed

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Spinnaker guidance needed on 09/15/2011 14:59:14 MDT Print View

So I did something today I swore I'd never do, bought some Spinnaker (the .7 oz stuff Goosefeet is blowing out) with the intention of making a flat tarp. The material is 54" wide, and I want a 7' wide tarp, so I'll need to do a seam on the ridgeline.

Will a wide, triple-rolled, flat felled seam sealed under tension be strong enough, or should I laminate the edges before sewing (which sounds like a huge nuisance). I'll be laminating and then sewing tie out reinforcements, but those are small enough I probably won't screw them up too badly.

Thanks.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: Spinnaker guidance needed on 09/15/2011 15:22:34 MDT Print View

With the flat felled seam, you won't have to worry about tensions pulling the seam out from the edges, the edges wont be under load, just the inside stitch lines. Now if there's enough tension, it could theoretically pull gaps in the fabric at that stitch line, but I don't see any need to reinforce the edges. Regardless of what reinforcement you do, there's always going to be one line of stitches on the body of the tarp that is accepting load from the outside edges.

Flat felled is a very strong seam for the lateral stresses of tight pitching. I wouldn't trust anything like a french seam.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
re: spinnaker guidance on 09/15/2011 15:25:43 MDT Print View

Makes sense to me. Thanks Javan.

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
Re: re: spinnaker guidance on 09/15/2011 15:35:53 MDT Print View

Np brother, post pics when you're done. ;)