Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Blue collar and NASCAR on 09/14/2011 12:12:26 MDT Print View

"My Dad is a recently retired sheet metal worker.

He never watched sports...
Used to read Kahil Gibran poetry...
And loves to cook (like all Magnanti men)

I'm so confused???? :D"

Let me help you clear it up.

NASCAR is not a sport.
Kahlil Gibran didn't write poetry, he wrote dreck.
Cooking, now there's a sport! Full contact cooking is one of my personal favorites.

Edited by idester on 09/14/2011 12:21:36 MDT.

Fred Thorp
(BFThorp) - F
Capitalism ?? on 09/14/2011 12:17:12 MDT Print View

I'm beginning to wonder how many here understand the basic definition. The OP maybe should have simply polled the groups voting record and cut to the chase.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
dreck on 09/14/2011 12:20:24 MDT Print View

re: Kahil Gibran being dreck

Hey...it was the 1960s and early 70s when he was popular. People claimed to like Sitar music, then, too! :D

re: Cooking is a sport

Nay..it's a lifestyle. ;) nI proudly live up to that particular ethnic stereotype. Helps Grandma was a kick-ass cook (and baker!) and set a good example for her son and grandsons.

:)

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Kahlil on 09/14/2011 12:27:02 MDT Print View

Pretty sure it's Kahlil. And I just got The Prophet" out again, and my daughter is reading it. Some good Dreck.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Gibran on 09/14/2011 12:31:49 MDT Print View

You are probably correct.

My blue collar upbringing means I make some typos/misspellings from time to time. Esp about poets I only know from wedding readings and/or seeing sitting on Dad's bookshelf. :D

(Notice the smiley face folks..move along. Nothing to see here. )

Edited by PaulMags on 09/14/2011 12:37:00 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Doug and Kahlil on 09/14/2011 12:41:57 MDT Print View

I was actually trying to pick on Doug. It's been a while ; )

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist? on 09/14/2011 12:51:04 MDT Print View

I'm still reeling from Dale's hurtful comments about my Subaru! : )

Maybe if I drive down to the food carts and eat with some tattooed and pierced urban designers I'll feel better.

Edited by saparisor on 09/14/2011 13:14:25 MDT.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Subaru on 09/14/2011 12:56:26 MDT Print View

"I'm still reeling from Dale's hurtful comments about my Subaru! : )"
Me too!!!
Then again, hardly anyone knows I have one; I drive my Ford Ranger with 260,000 miles on it, and save the white collar vehicle for my light weight backpacking trips..

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist? on 09/14/2011 13:43:37 MDT Print View

Ultralight backpacking would only seem anti-capitalist if you are looking at capitalism in a very negative way. New companies popping out of nowhere and rising to become successful is very capitalist. Communism would halt that kind of innovation.
It's very anti-corporation, but the beauty of a free market is you can destroy the massive corporations we all hate with your wallet. Just choose what you buy....

Justin Baker
(justin_baker) - F

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Re: Is lightweight backpacking anti-capitalist? on 09/14/2011 14:08:52 MDT Print View

@Brian, I mostly post on bushcraftusa and sometimes it really seems like "gearcraftusa". However, bushcraters are the mostly thrifty people out there. They love buying stuff from thrift shops or flea markets. There are tons of threads on there about modding old butchers knives into beautiful looking custom bushcraft knives or turning a rusty old axe head into a shiny, useful tool again.
Don't mix up survival or primitive skills with bushcraft. Ray Mears said to only carry what you need, and let nature provide the rest. That usually means carrying a minimum kit. I don't really think it matters if your pack is nylon or canvas, the principle is the same. I carry a dyneema pack with a norlund mini hatchet in one of the side pockets and I often throw up an improvised shelter with a fire in front to keep warm through the night.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Anti everything on 09/14/2011 16:02:30 MDT Print View

Am I the only one that sees the humor in a thread asking if UL backpacking is anti capitalist on a UL backpacking site that charges for it's content?

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Anti everything on 09/14/2011 18:21:42 MDT Print View

Jesse, no you are not.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Kahlil on 09/14/2011 19:40:54 MDT Print View

"Pretty sure it's Kahlil."

It gets pretty mangled here in the US of A. An accurate transliteration would be Khalil. Or Khaleel to indicate a long "e". Both to indicate a guttural "k".

Just being nerdy picky. ;-)