Interesting sleeping bag concept.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Interesting sleeping bag concept. on 09/11/2011 11:56:27 MDT Print View

There is too little information in the article to know for certain but the price and weight sound right.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/11/BAHR1L2HK8.DTL&tsp=1

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
hmm on 09/11/2011 12:02:43 MDT Print View

You better have a lot of clothes on to get that thing to 17 degrees.

Ryan

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: hmm on 09/11/2011 12:13:29 MDT Print View

Unfortunately there is no description of the testing methodology. Was it tested in a doorway in Detroit? Some other form of windbreak? Very intriguing even if it is only good to 25. I believe there are similar concepts in down from cottage quilt makers but the cost puts them outside the reach of many people.

Tim Haynes
(timalan)

Locale: Mid Atlantic
Sleeping bag coats for the homeless concept on 09/11/2011 19:58:33 MDT Print View

From the article, "Goes down to 17 degrees" and "The coat-bag weighs only 1 pound and looks like an extra-large coat with a big hood. It costs $7 to $10 to produce."

AFAIK, there is nothing on this planet that can keep you warm down to 17-degrees that weighs 1 pound and can be purchased for $7-$10 in raw materials.

900-fill down sandwiched between cuben fiber and a vapor barrier would get you close, but I can't even imagine what that would cost.

If something like this exists, every person on this site will buy one. My guess is that the news article has most of the specs wrong.

1#, 17-degrees, <$10 -- Pick one, maybe two, but certainly not all three.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Interesting sleeping bag concept. on 09/11/2011 20:28:35 MDT Print View

Read this today and nice attempt, though it probably needs testing to get a more realistic rating as it has synthetic insulation. Wonder if 17F was the survival rating.

Windbreaks, other clothing probably paid a role as there's no way it can be as efficient as a sleeping bag. Still the designer is trying and wish her success.

ADD: a tyvek/synthetic insulation quilt could be a cool MYOG project.

Edited by hknewman on 09/11/2011 20:30:10 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Sleeping bag coats for the homeless concept on 09/11/2011 20:32:34 MDT Print View

"Goes down to 17 degrees"

Nowhere does it say 17 degrees Fahrenheit. Maybe they mean 17 degrees Celsius.

--B.G.--

Brandon Guy
(brucky) - F

Locale: Central Cal
Too good to be true on 09/11/2011 21:04:49 MDT Print View

Check out the girl's website
http://detroitempowermentplan.blogspot.com/
At the very bottom it shows the testing video. They didn't appear to sleep in the bags and the one girl putting a bag on already had a big parka.

Edited by brucky on 09/11/2011 21:05:52 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Interesting sleeping bag concept. on 09/11/2011 21:09:54 MDT Print View

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empowerment-Plan/185591714798677

http://detroitempowermentplan.blogspot.com/
"What are the materials and how well do they work?
* The materials for the coat are Tyvek, wool (or other synthetic), PVC tubing, and plastic tubing. Tyvek is used for the heat and water barrier on the exterior of the coat. The Wool or synthetic will be used inside the coat used for the interior since hollow fibers are great insulation. The PVC and chord make toggles that are easier to sew and use than buttons."

Tyvek outer shell with synthetic insulation. Looks to have a long zipper. No way it weighs 1 pound. The temp must be farenheit if used in snow. She mentions thinsulate insulation.

http://www.core77.com/blog/object_culture/the_empowerment_plan_veronika_scotts_winter_coat_for_detroit__17762.asp
"The Element S coat is made from Tyvek and wool, simple enough to be made by first time sewers, and, in fact, designed to be."

Edited by jshann on 09/11/2011 21:35:21 MDT.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Interesting sleeping bag concept. on 09/11/2011 23:06:50 MDT Print View

Like others, I applaud the designer's efforts--I'm sure she's come up with something pretty good for the target market.

But regarding specific claims: the closest to 17* F and 16 oz I know of is enLIGHTened equipment's Epiphany K 2.25" quilt. That's in .33 oz Cuben and 900 fp down. And costs $490. No way Tyvek and synthetic insulation beats that, regardless of price.

Terry Trimble
(socal-nomad) - F

Locale: North San Diego county
Interesting sleeping bag concept. on 09/12/2011 09:57:02 MDT Print View

Some of you guys are missing the point of this article. The product is geared toward homeless people, I talk to quite a few on the bus they don't like to look homeless. So during the day their sleeping bags and pads are ditched in the bushes hoping they will be their when they return at night.
Their are some homeless sleeping on the ground with out pad or sleeping bag or they find cardboard to lay on for the night. This give them a way to take their sleeping gear with them with out fear of theft.

The only backpack system that makes since for these guys is the SMD pack with the folded Z rest pad pack pocket for frame and to conceal your sleeping pad. But it made out of to light weight of materials they would thrash it in a week and the cost is to much for them to afford. The pack would have to be made out of polyester 500 d cordura or higher and only and sell for only $40.00 to $ 60.00. The homeless can thrash a daypacks in 2 to 3 months beyond serviceable. So most buy military packs.
Terry

Edited by socal-nomad on 09/12/2011 10:06:12 MDT.

Richard Seifert
(ZMad2000) - F
Interesting sleeping bag concept on 09/12/2011 11:29:45 MDT Print View

It sounds REALLY cool. I think the $7-$10 are the wholesale bulk prices for the material which would mean that its more like $40-50 in our material costs and cause its for the homeless they might get an even bigger discount than those prices.

For the material used i think Insul-bright or Insultex sandwiched between something like the thinsulate that they talk about might work though i would like to see and try it out

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Interesting sleeping bag concept on 09/12/2011 13:24:32 MDT Print View

I can believe 16oz since there seems to be very little insulation actually. It seems this is mainly to give the homeless a more windproof shell than their normal clothing would. It only reaches 17F when you're wearing a big honking parka apparently. She may have had other layers as well. She must have decent donors to be able to employ homeless to make them and give them away for free.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Windbreaker on 09/17/2011 00:13:22 MDT Print View

If it cost $10 and it does half of what it says.. I will buy 10 for the homeless guys I talk to on my way to work. Here in Canada... 17 C or F doesn't mean $hit when its -40.

I'm thinking it is much more of a wind break than anything else. may actually be good for when I am oot and aboot snowblowing.