Forum Index » Post-Trip Reports » Late winter circuit of Mt Bogong, Australia

Display Avatars Sort By:
Andrew Bishop
(copperhead) - M

Locale: Down Under
Late winter circuit of Mt Bogong, Australia on 09/11/2011 04:51:15 MDT Print View

Two weeks ago I spent 5 days walking a circuit near Mt Bogong, one of Australia's highest mountains.

It was a ton of fun and included nearly losing my tent in high winds on Mt Bogong, encountering faeries in the Grey Hills, getting a lesson in the physics of gas stoves and enjoying some great weather in a beautiful area during the last week of the southern hemisphere winter.

I have put details of the trip in my blog, which you can read here.

View from the Spion Kopje Fire Trail

Edited by copperhead on 09/12/2011 05:05:28 MDT.

Rob Ford
(rob_tampa@hotmail.com) - F

Locale: South East
Late winter circuit of Mt Bogong, Australia on 09/12/2011 11:06:45 MDT Print View

Very cool. Sounds like an Epic trip :)

Andrew Bishop
(copperhead) - M

Epic trip on 09/12/2011 17:09:08 MDT Print View

Thanks, Rob.

It was terrific fun. Now I need some way to get my mind out of the snow and back into work.

Andrew

Mark Primack
(Bufa) - MLife

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland
Fabulous adventure on 09/16/2011 06:42:39 MDT Print View

What a fabulous sold adventure. My heart with beating with yours as the wind tore at your shelter and send your goods flying. Great pics. I had no idea there were snowy mountains in Australia. Thanks.

Andrew Bishop
(copperhead) - M

Snowy Mountains on 09/21/2011 16:00:35 MDT Print View

Hi Mark

The Aussie mountains are on the small side, but the southern peaks get good wintertime snow cover and skiing of all flavours isvery popular. Our neighbour (and my originalhome) New Zealand, is probably better known for mountains.

Of course, Aus also has golden beaches, a desert centre and fabulous hot summers. :)

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Epic trip on 09/22/2011 10:44:30 MDT Print View

Andrew,

Great trip report. An added bonus was the great link to the treks-and-walks of New Zealand website.

Andrew Bishop
(copperhead) - M

NZ wilderness on 09/22/2011 16:39:30 MDT Print View

Hi Diane

Yeah - the NZ wilderness is amazing, particularly the South Island west coast, with its high mountains, fast-flowing rivers, deep valleys, relentless rain and crazy-bad sand flies.

Andrew