I've been re-thinking my AT cooking arrangement after receiving my BPL titanium pot. The challenge is to get everything, including a Ziploc cup, into the pot to make one neat package.
The deal is, I like to use hexamine, but want to have an alcohol backup because of the unreliability of hex resupply. Reviews of the Vargo Triad, which is dual fuel, are not impressive, and besides, it isn't DYI.
So, I made a pot support sort of like the Gossimer Gear folding support, but with a locking cross bar out of titanium bike spokes. I had been using a small chimney alcohol stove and the bottom of a V8 can for the hex.
All those doo-dads wouldn't fit in that small pot. Then I looked at the bottom of the V8 can. Hmm. I have made scores of alcohol stoves of many designs, but had never tried a simple wick burner. So I stuffed the V8 bottom with fiberglass insulation and did some test runs. It boiled a cup in 3.5 minutes with 1/4 ounce of alcohol and ran a total of 5.5 minutes. Hmm. So I packed a tea light with glass. And that was a little more effient. Almost exactly the same as hexamine. Then I packed the aluminum cap from a liquor bottle. It is a little taller and of smaller diameter than the tea light. Same results, but its thicker aluminum didn't burn up when using it as a base for hexamine. The tea light didn't burn up either, but I worried about it. I quess I'll need another bottle cap or two.
I don't know what's going on here, but I ran tests all afternoon and boiled up gallons of water. I did not test with other pots, but at least with the BPL Firelight SUL, the results with a simple open wick burner were as good as it gets.