South Lake Tahoe day hike
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
South Lake Tahoe day hike on 09/06/2011 23:08:56 MDT Print View

Hi guys,
I'm trying to find a short (max 5mi) day hike in South Lake Tahoe. Any recommendations?

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
On the north side but very good on 09/07/2011 10:42:29 MDT Print View

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51663&skip_to_post=443349#443349

I was just in the area a few weeks ago and did this 1/2 day hike. Very great views, very easy hike. Only thing is that it is on the North side of the lake, about 45 minute drive from South Lake Tahoe.

Nico .
(NickB) - MLife

Locale: Los Padres National Forest
South Lake Tahoe Hikes on 09/07/2011 18:01:00 MDT Print View

I don't have a ton of hiking experience up around Tahoe, but there's hikes to be had into the Desolation Wilderness from near Fallen Leaf Lake (just across the highway from Camp Richardson near South Lake), and from Eagle Falls (across the highway from Emerald Cove). Depending upon how far you wanted to hike in, you could get to any number of Lakes from either trailhead.

You can also get onto the Tahoe Rim Trail from various points around South Lake... I've only done this in winter with snowshoes, but we snowshoed sections of the TRT, starting from around the Heavenly Ski Resort area.

Chad Anderson
(kiddzoso)

Locale: N. California
Eagle Lake on 09/08/2011 00:48:57 MDT Print View

Eagle Lake is a very popular and scenic lake on the edge of Desolation Wilderness. The hike is only 2 miles total out-and-back, but you can go farther if you're interested.