Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Mistaken for Strangers

Display Avatars Sort By:
Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Mistaken for Strangers on 09/07/2011 11:59:59 MDT Print View

Eugene, bravo! Beautiful photography. Great video. Thanks for sharing the experience.

By the way, I'm another Oklahoma hiker. I would love to hear about plans if you are interested in sharing a trip in the future.

Thanks,
Phil

Kerry Rodgers
(klrodgers) - MLife

Locale: North Texas
Beautiful on 09/07/2011 12:31:37 MDT Print View

Thanks Eugene! I got to see some of those places last July when the weather was considerably milder on Pecos Baldy. Sounds like you had great company for it! Would love to join you, someday. Cheering video also.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
Well done! on 09/07/2011 13:06:44 MDT Print View

Looked like a great hike and what a great presentation. Excellent music choices. Thanks for sharing Eugene.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Mistaken for Strangers on 09/07/2011 13:45:10 MDT Print View

Wonderful report. Delightful pictures. Thanks much for sharing!

Mark Olah
(gorgar3141) - M

Locale: New Mexico
Pecos on 09/07/2011 13:57:26 MDT Print View

Possibly the best trip report I have read on BPL. Maybe it's because the Pecos is possibly my favorite place on Earth. Was interesting to pick out trails and peaks and passes from your video that brought flashbacks from trips of my own there in years past. Your photo composition is really awesome, it's inspiring me to do a better job documenting my own hikes and to use my camera's video feature a little more. Really liked the writeup too! Thanks for sharing Eugene!

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Mistaken for Strangers on 09/07/2011 13:58:15 MDT Print View

That really, really makes me regret having to cancel my trip to Northern NM (Wheeler Peak Wilderness) in 2 weeks. But my hiking buddy seems to think that going blind in one eye is a valid excuse for cancelling the trip. What a baby. I'd almost pay Eugene to follow me and document a trip.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Once again on 09/07/2011 14:17:17 MDT Print View

You just confirmed that you post the best trip reports ever. Incredible pictures, remarkable writing and always a good story with great protagonists. Thanks so much for the inspiration.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Mistaken for Strangers on 09/07/2011 14:42:54 MDT Print View

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share it.

Mallory Caldwell
(mc1263) - F

Locale: Texas
Great photos on 09/07/2011 15:47:38 MDT Print View

What kind of camera are you shooting? I want to take photos like those.

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
Truly Eugenius! on 09/07/2011 16:35:58 MDT Print View

I have to say I felt a little de ja vu when I started reading it, and kept looking at the date it was posted.... I thought I'd read about the trip before,but didn't remember some of the pics, then I just read Steven's post alluding to your blog and it all clicked, I wasn't losing my mind... I HAD read some of it before :)

Your writing style and photography skills are exemplary, they allow me to share in on the experience vicariously, but so much more.
Absolutely wonderful!
Thank you

Tecalote was one of the first restaurants I ate at over 20 yrs ago, and I still go there for breakfast when I'm in SF.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Thanks for sharing... on 09/07/2011 16:45:00 MDT Print View

I've been wanting to read your trip report since you said you were just south of my buddy and I that same weekend. I remember the snow, the winds....and the enchantment of New Mexico Sangres....

Awesome stuff..

Daniel Sandstr├Âm
(sandstrom.dj)
Super trip-report on 09/08/2011 03:30:16 MDT Print View

Really, this is one of the best I've experienced. Well written, ├╝bersuperb photographs and video. Thank you.

edit:
Plus a great heading as I'm currently listening to the National. (Intention or coincidence...)

Edited by sandstrom.dj on 09/08/2011 03:32:17 MDT.

John Donewar
(Newton) - MLife

Locale: Southeastern Louisiana
Re: Mistaken for strangers on 09/08/2011 05:01:54 MDT Print View

He ain't a stranger, he's my ultra light brother that I just haven't met yet. ;-)

The video is very unsettling for me. Let me explain. As I watch the video I am at peace and aching to get out on the trail at the same time. Almost 11 minutes of video passes by and disappears like lightening. I want more!

Eugeneius, does video very well! A wonderful trip report!

Thank you Eugene for sharing.

Party On,

Newton

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Mistaken for Strangers" on 09/08/2011 05:37:46 MDT Print View

Wow, thanks everyone for the encouraging words! Putting this together was a labor of love, I'm pumped that many of you found it to be enjoyable and uplifting. BPL is such a killer community, there are really some gems here.

The more we can spur each other on and inspire one another to go outdoors and share it with our friends and family the better- no matter the capacity, however big or small the adventure, it doesn't matter, as long as we're outside.

New Mexico is a beautiful and enchanting place, hopefully more people will put it on their trip location radar in the future.

To answer a few questions:

What camera did I use? Nikon D7000, Nikon 35mm f/1.8, Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5

Video editing: iMac, iMovie

jeffrey bennett
(jollygreen)

Locale: Near the bottom
Mistaken for Strangers on 09/08/2011 06:04:24 MDT Print View

New Mexico is truly the land of enchantment.
Eugene, you have a wonderful way with words and an awesome gift with photos. Please keep up the great work and thank you for sharing.
Jeff

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
New Mexico on 09/08/2011 09:18:31 MDT Print View

>>New Mexico is a beautiful and enchanting place, hopefully more people will put it on >>their trip location radar in the future.

Ditto. I've been rediscovering the beauty of NM. My fiance' and I went to the Latir Peak Wilderness this past weekend and loved it. One of the ranked summits had a register from 1967!

No too far of a drive for many of us in CO, yet many people seem to bypass NM in favor of other places.

Their loss. :)

Trevor Martin
(trevormar) - MLife

Locale: Rockies/ Desert Southwest
Next NM Trip on 09/08/2011 10:09:27 MDT Print View

Count me in for next time Eugene! I'm from Taos so its only a short drive away.

Stephen McCue
(smccue)

Locale: New Mexico
NM Pecos Wilderness on 09/08/2011 18:13:06 MDT Print View

Awesome! I was up at Pecos Baldy Lake about ten days after you all - my 55th birthday. Truly a beautiful spot. The video gets it right, although I prefer a Lotaburger after the Pecos. Steve

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Mistaken for Strangers" on 09/09/2011 11:33:07 MDT Print View

I don't know what's in store for next year, maybe a round 2? I get out as life affords, but I do know that I want to connect with more BPL members in a fashion similar to this, people getting together to hike, sweat, eat, bag peaks, laugh, etc. For this trip I posted a few months out in the Hiking Partners/Group Trip Announcement forum, hopefully others will do the same if they're heading out so they can share wilderness with someone else, teach someone, learn from someone, and be stoked on the same things.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: "Mistaken for Strangers" on 09/09/2011 17:46:17 MDT Print View

wow! well done - great writing, pics and video