Forum Index » GEAR » The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/07/2011 09:15:57 MDT Print View

Sorry, HJ, can't comment on priming issues with white gas. I've never used it with the Fyrestorm. I'm not a white gas fan.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/07/2011 10:39:14 MDT Print View

Gotcha. Thanks.

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

New Whisperlite Universal -- Flexible Fuel Line on 09/08/2011 01:47:15 MDT Print View

I liked how flexible the fuel line is on these compared to my Rapidfire. We got to have a presentation by two MSR reps at a recent gathering in OR for a few Stovies.
Duane
Duane,

Here's what I meant by I didn't think the Whisperlite Universal's fuel line was all that flexible:

The Universal's fuel line is top and the Windpro's is bottom. The Windpro has a much thinner more flexible fuel line.

The Universal's fuel line is stiff to the degree that it never touches the table top in this photo:

To me, that's not all that flexible, particularly in contrast to the Windpro which has a truly flexible fuel line. Now, maybe the Rapidfire is a little stiffer than the Universal, but the Universal's fuel line is much closer to the stiff Rapidfire than the flexible Windpro.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/26/2012 15:23:24 MST.

Mark Olah
(gorgar3141)

Locale: New Mexico
MSR Fuel lines on 09/08/2011 05:00:54 MDT Print View

I own the MSR Simmerlite (4 years), and the MSR Whisperlite (15+ years), and have had used several well-worn MSR Whisperlite internationals before. In my experience the flexible fuel line is the most likely point of failure for these stoves. My original Whisperlite has eventually developed enough of a kink in the line so that the flow is restricted and I do not get full power even after repeated cleanings and repairs. It has largely been retired now.

The Whisperlite international has a thicker line than the original Whisperlite, and I have never seen that thicker line have the same problem. My guess is that this is one reason the international version has a bomber reputation and that is why they continued using the same line (apparently) in the newest model.

My Simmerlite has a line similar to the windpro model, and is much more flexible than the original Wisperlite, but has not developed any fuel line problems... yet.

In my opinion the Simmerlite (@179g stove only) is still probably the best white gas stove. If you need liquid fuel (winter, big groups, etc.) then you should use white gas over an inverted canister because it is much cheaper and easier to measure out. If you can get away with canister/alcohol then there are much lighter options. The only way I would want a heavier white gas stove is if it has a second fuel knob at the burner like the MSR Dragonfly or others from Primus/Optimus/Brunton for true simmering ability.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: MSR Fuel lines on 09/08/2011 09:22:54 MDT Print View

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Question: Is your old Whisperlite one of the really old models with a fabric cover on the fuel line? Or is it one with a braided metal cover on the fuel line. I'll have to be careful how I store mine so it doesn't kink.

I haven't owned one of the more flexible fuel line models long enough to know about their longevity. For whatever reason, I really like my Windpro. Pretty light (for what it is), capable of inverted canister operation, pretty compact.

HJ

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/08/2011 11:03:07 MDT Print View

Hi Jim,

I wouldn't call the Fyrestorm "difficult" to prime but it does have a propensity to emit a Really Big Orange Flame until it settles down to a cook flame, meaning don't dare use the thing under a vestibule with white gas. Big Flame events can be reduced by fiddling with the amount of priming fuel and pump pressure.

In all, the stove is simply easier to use with a canister.

Cheers,

Rick

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/08/2011 11:13:08 MDT Print View

Thanks, Rick.

I've read posts where people were having real difficulty priming. I had no idea if they had a lemon, didn't know what they were doing, or the stove is just "difficult," so thanks for your feedback.

HJ

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Well HJ on 09/08/2011 11:13:13 MDT Print View

Per my hands on experience, we handled so many new stoves last week when the MSR reps visited two nights, I still believe it was the Universal, the fuel line was super flexible, unlike the line on the Rapidfire:) I'll be using the Rapidfire in Yosemite the second weekend in Oct. with a few from NorthCA Hiking on a XC route off of Lyell Fork so I'll be using it for more than snow camping like I did last Spring in Desolation.
Duane

PS, maybe we were using the prototype.

Edited by hikerduane on 09/08/2011 11:14:53 MDT.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Windpro II? on 09/08/2011 12:05:20 MDT Print View

Could it have been the new Windpro II? The Windpro has a super flexible fuel line, and I mean super flexible.

Or maybe as you say, there's a little variation stove to stove in the prototypes.

Pretty cool that you got to meet with the guys from MSR. At first I honestly thought you were pulling my leg, but I talked to Doc and Gary and they confirmed it. Dang! I wish I could have been there.

HJ

Edited by hikin_jim on 09/08/2011 12:06:23 MDT.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Canister attachment on 09/08/2011 13:45:18 MDT Print View

Can you purchase the canister attachment separately? Would it work on an international? Not really sure why I'm asking, but I do have an international that is collecting dust...

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Windpro? on 09/08/2011 13:57:53 MDT Print View

HJ, could have been, I was trying to absorb all the info they gave us, they even fired up the Capillary action one like you have and another that the military turned down.
Duane

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/08/2011 14:27:20 MDT Print View

"I've read posts where people were having real difficulty priming. I had no idea if they had a lemon, didn't know what they were doing, or the stove is just "difficult," so thanks for your feedback."

Happy to add my $0.02. The Fyrestorm is a little more complicated than typical stoves due to the second valve, so there are more variables to control. I've not used it in awhile and I bet I'd have to go through the freshman class again to get it right.

At least if you know the Giant Flame is a possibility, you won't be surprised. ;-)

Cheers,

Rick

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Canister attachment on 09/08/2011 14:33:48 MDT Print View

Can you purchase the canister attachment separately? Would it work on an international? Not really sure why I'm asking, but I do have an international that is collecting dust...

Larry,

I'm not sure if they'll offer the adapter separately, but even if they did, it wouldn't do any good.

The end of the Whisperlite Universal fuel line is threaded and has "O" rings:

The end of the Internationale's fuel line is smooth, so the adapter wouldn't work.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/26/2012 15:24:06 MST.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Thanks on 09/08/2011 15:44:32 MDT Print View

I guess I missed that in the pictures. Oh well, I don't need it anyway. :D

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/08/2011 18:52:56 MDT Print View

Larry, not a problem. It's kind of a cool set up -- but it's not backwards compatible.

HJ

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Gear Review: MSR Whisperlite Universal on 10/04/2011 15:51:24 MDT Print View

The finalized version of my review of the new MSR Whisperlite Universal is now available if anyone would like to have a look.

HJ

Adventures in Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 10/05/2011 19:46:10 MDT.