Forum Index » GEAR » The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal

Display Avatars Sort By:
Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/04/2011 20:02:00 MDT Print View

I'm evaluating the new MSR Whisperlite Universal, which is set for public release in 2012.  The Whisperlite Universal will do anything the old Whisperlite Classic or Whisperlite Internationale will do AND the Universal will burn canister gas.  I've only run a few tests as of now, but I like what I see so far.  I haven't finished my review, but I do have some videos of the new stove posted on my blog:   Whisperlite Universal -- First Videos, Detailed Photos

Here is a photo of the W'Lite Universal running on canister gas:

HJ

Adventures In Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/26/2012 15:22:20 MST.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/05/2011 22:28:44 MDT Print View

I took the MSR Whisperlite Universal out to the East Fork of the San Gabriel River today for some field trials. The more I use it, the more I like it.

HJ
Adventures In Stoving

Edited by hikin_jim on 01/26/2012 15:21:12 MST.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Inverted Canister on 09/06/2011 00:02:00 MDT Print View

Does the stove operate with the gas canister inverted? It has a pre-heat tube so I'm assuming that it can. Does MSR have an official position on inverted canister operation with this stove?

If it does then this stove would replace all my other liquid fuel and remote canister stoves, reducing the clutter in the gear closet, which is a good thing.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 07:23:14 MDT Print View

How much does it weigh?

Andre C
(AndreC) - F

Locale: New England
Re: Inverted Canister on 09/06/2011 07:50:00 MDT Print View

I would say that it does.

MSR Whisperlite Universal

Weight is listed as 10.9oz.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Inverted Canister on 09/06/2011 08:57:18 MDT Print View

Barry:

Yes, the stove's coupler rotates freely which makes inverted canister operation a snap. See the second video on my blog post.

MSR provides a stand for inverted canister operation. In other words, MSR is promoting the MSR Whisperlite Universal as an inverted canister stove.

HJ

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 09:01:28 MDT Print View

Jerry,

The MSR Whisperlite Universal weighs 258g (9oz) on my scale, only 2g more than the old Whisperlite Classic. That's the weight without the pump but with the liquid fuel adapter (see photo below for what I was weighing).

HJ

Cesar Garcia
(crgowo) - F

Locale: Desert SW
I really like... on 09/06/2011 09:36:13 MDT Print View

I really like how they allow you to rotate the whitegas canister to push out the rest of the fuel in the line like the optimus stoves.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by crgowo on 09/06/2011 09:36:47 MDT.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 10:24:53 MDT Print View

Yeah, the flip stop is a really nice feature when running on liquid fuel. It's an undocumented feature (MSR never mentions it), but it works great. It not only purges the fuel line but also depressurizes the fuel bottle so you don't get gas all over your hands when you open the bottle.

I'm not sure why MSR doesn't mention this feature in their documentation. Other manufacturers like Primus and Optimus not only mention it in their documentation but they also stamp the right-side-up side of their pumps with the word "ON" and the upside-down side of their pumps with the word "OFF."

HJ

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 10:50:34 MDT Print View

I'll probably get this stove to replace my Whisperlite Internationale, but it's be that much more appealing if it was also made to burn alcohol. While I wouldn't want to carry this stove very far, it could be a great stove to put in an emergency kit and would surely make it a huge hit among survivalists.

USA Duane Hall
(hikerduane) - F

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada
Flexible on 09/06/2011 11:05:26 MDT Print View

I liked how flexible the fuel line is on these compared to my Rapidfire. We got to have a presentation by two MSR reps at a recent gathering in OR for a few Stovies.
Duane

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 11:23:20 MDT Print View

Eugene:

I don't think this stove will even begin to compete in the lightweight category -- you'd be better off with an upright canister stove (or alcohol or hexamine). However, for winter camping or international travel, this might be a good choice.

With regard to alcohol, I have talked to an awful lot of guys who have successfully run their MSR stoves on alcohol. I personally would be a little worried since MSR stoves aren't designed for alcohol, but I keep talking to guys who are doing it successfully.

HJ

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Flexible on 09/06/2011 11:30:15 MDT Print View

Duane,

Actually, the fuel line on the new Whisperlite Universal is not flexible. It's the same level of flexibility as a Rapidfire or a Whisperlite. MSR has backed off from the flexible fuel lines of the type used on the Simmerlite or the Windpro.

I'm not 100% sure why MSR has gone back to a thicker, less flexible fuel line, but I suspect it may be due to product liability fears. With a really flexible fuel line as on the Windpro, one could put the canister inside the windscreen, which could lead to an explosion if one were not careful. With an inflexible line as on the Whisperlite Universal, one would be hard pressed to operate the stove in any other fashion than having the canister at the end of a straight fuel line, which keeps the canister always at maximum distance from the stove (and thus keeps the lawyers happy).

HJ

Antti Peltola
(anttipeltola) - F
Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 13:14:01 MDT Print View

"With regard to alcohol, I have talked to an awful lot of guys who have successfully run their MSR stoves on alcohol. I personally would be a little worried since MSR stoves aren't designed for alcohol, but I keep talking to guys who are doing it successfully."

Alcohol is bad for gaskets that are not designed for it and causes corrosion on aluminium parts. Add pressurized fuel and fire into the mix, and it starts to sound like a bad idea to me.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal -- Alcohol Fuel on 09/06/2011 13:33:15 MDT Print View

Alcohol is bad for gaskets that are not designed for it and causes corrosion on aluminium parts. Add pressurized fuel and fire into the mix, and it starts to sound like a bad idea to me.
Yeah, it sounds like a bad idea to me in general, BUT if I were in the middle of nowhere and the only fuel I could get was alcohol, I might try it in a pinch on a very short term basis. I definitely would not store the alcohol in an aluminum fuel bottle for any length of time!

HJ

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 13:43:16 MDT Print View

HJ - does that weight (9 oz) include the stand for inverting a canister? Doesn't look like it, but I thought I'd ask.

I have the Coleman Fyrestorm Ti stove and it weighs 7.8 oz.without its stand and 11.2 oz. with the stand. Just as a point of reference.

Thanks.

Edit: You know, now that I think about it I don't think that's a fair comparison. The Fyrestorm requires the stand to function so, there's really only one weight: 11.2 oz.

Edited by Ramapo on 09/06/2011 13:46:44 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 13:49:01 MDT Print View

HJ says in his video that he wasn't provided with the canister stand.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 14:06:47 MDT Print View

Dave,

The relevant weights are as follows:
Whisperlite Universal, 258g (with the liquid fuel adapter and UG/UK jet)
UC Jet = 5g
UG/UK Jet = 3g
Canister addpter = 30g
Liquid Fuel adapter = 22g

If you swap out the liquid fuel components and swap in the canister gas components, then (if I'm doing my math correctly), you'd have 268g (9.45oz) for the basic stove (without the canister stand) when configured to run on canister gas.

I wish I could tell you more about the canister stand, but, as has been pointed out, MSR neglected to send me one for review. However, as has been mentioned, you don't need the canister stand for either conventional or inverted running. A lot of us have been running remote canister stoves in inverted fashion long before the Fyrestorm or the Whisperlite Universal. I typically just lean the canister against a rock or something when I want to run in inverted mode.

HJ

Dave .
(Ramapo) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 14:41:07 MDT Print View

Ah, I see. I didn't watch the video before posting.

Thanks for the info. Looks like a neat little stove, but, tempting as it is, I'm too cheap to buy a new stove just to save a couple ounces. Actually, that's not true all the time, but I don't do enough winter camping to warrant replacing the Fyrestorm yet.

Thanks again.

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Re: The New (for 2012) Whisperlite Universal on 09/06/2011 15:39:23 MDT Print View

Dave,

(hijacking my own thread here) Have you run your Fyrestorm on white gasoline much? I've heard that it's difficult to prime. Any comments?

HJ