Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Need help with idea for Southwest trip in October
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Need help with idea for Southwest trip in October on 09/04/2011 09:47:33 MDT Print View

I have about a week in early October with my wife and 2 teenage sons. I think we want to explore some of the US Southwest, but I have spent very little time there. I think I have them talked into 3 days backpacking. Any ideas? I am considering a Grand Canyon backpack, but I am really open to any good ideas. Tell me where you guys really like.

Jennifer McFarlane
(JennyMcFarlane) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
So much to see, so little time on 09/04/2011 11:55:17 MDT Print View

October is a great time to visit the southwest. No summer crowds.
Don't miss the Grand Canyon, if you have never been there. The more time you spend there, the more you discover. We spent two weeks there last summer. There are many hikes down into the canyon. The one I've done was three days- Day 1: down the Hermit Trail, Day 2- across the Tonto plateau to Indian Gardens, Day 3 up the Bright Angel Trail to the south rim. You can leave your car at the south rim and take the tram to the trailhead for the Hermit trail, so it makes the car logistics easy. I did this hike in late April so the temperature at the bottom was not too crazy. Advance reservations are needed.
Another cool hike is the one to the Navajo National Monument (about 8 miles each way) and you can camp up there. You can also do it as a day hike. You need to make reservations in advance. You will see things there you cannot see anywhere else.
Bryce and Zion also offer a lot of opportunities.

Edited by JennyMcFarlane on 09/04/2011 11:56:03 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Grand canyon on 09/04/2011 14:26:37 MDT Print View

Thanks Jennifer. Sounds like a couple of great options. I am interested in Zion a bit too. Is it more of a day hike spot? Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated too.