Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Grommets for ridge line tie outs on tarp?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Grommets for ridge line tie outs on tarp? on 08/30/2011 18:53:06 MDT Print View

I'm just about to start doing my first MYOG project. Well, I'm going to do the usual stuff sacks first. Then an 8x10 flat tarp. I've tried searching on here for this but it's hard to find stuff here, especially with the keywords I have to use. It seems like grommets would be the way to go for the two ridge line tie outs because I use trekking poles and they would slide right in. I haven't so far haven't seen anybody selling the webbing with grommets. Do you put the grommets in the webbing yourself? What size webbing should be used? I'm sure this has been asked and answered before so any links to the info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Grommets for ridge line tie outs on tarp? on 08/30/2011 19:01:01 MDT Print View

Check out THIS Thread.

Randy Nelson
(rlnunix) - F - M

Locale: Rockies
Pole pockets on 08/30/2011 20:27:33 MDT Print View

Thanks Greg. The pole pockets look good. How did you make them?

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Pole pockets on 08/30/2011 22:08:07 MDT Print View

They are 1.9 coated taffeta square-top cylinders (think "stuff sack")with a grosgrain collar to transfer the load. One side is stitched to the tarp tie-out that used to have the LineLock, the other side now has that LineLock attached via a grosgrain loop.

It pays to make them sturdy. These have been well tested and are still quite solid.