Forum Index » Website & Forum Admin/Support » PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS

Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave T
(DaveT) - F
PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS on 08/29/2011 10:07:42 MDT Print View

Hi BPL mods, etc.

There were some discussions about a year and more ago about how to clean up the forums. Not much was done, but there is one (small) change I suggested which I'd like to revisit. Every day people post pre-trip questions, etc. into TRIP REPORTS.

To help make it obvious to all where pre and post trip posts should go, I strongly suggest that BPL reorder and rename a couple of the campfire section forums:

Call them:

PRE-TRIP / HIKING PARTNERS
POST-TRIP

or
PRE-TRIP PLANNING / HIKING PARTNERS
POST-TRIP REPORTS

And put them in this logical order (i.e. pre-trip and THEN post-trip).

Please???

Edited by DaveT on 09/02/2011 10:12:27 MDT.

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
"PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS" on 08/29/2011 10:15:37 MDT Print View

+1

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: "PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS" on 08/29/2011 18:50:38 MDT Print View

+2

Nate Powell
(powell1nj) - F

Locale: North Carolina
re: rename on 08/29/2011 19:09:23 MDT Print View

+3 - I'm guilty of pre-planning questions in the Hiking Partners forum :)

Good call.

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS on 08/29/2011 20:48:44 MDT Print View

Just to make it clearer?

Pre-Trip Planning
Hiking Partners/Group Trip Announcements
Post-Trip Reports

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
RE: "PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS" on 08/29/2011 20:55:30 MDT Print View

+1 for Mary D's idea.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
BPL site manager request. on 09/01/2011 11:45:44 MDT Print View

I am more in favor of FEWER forums than more, but I'd go along with Mary's idea, if only the BPL mods would take action of this. I can't possibly see the problem with AT LEAST reordering them so pre-trip comes before post-trip.

But there's pretty much no forum support, so I suppose I'm not surprised. (One reason I'm not a member.)

Edited by DaveT on 09/01/2011 11:46:19 MDT.

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
forum support on 09/02/2011 10:11:35 MDT Print View

BUMP

hello?

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: forum support on 09/02/2011 17:47:15 MDT Print View

Long weekend perhaps.

I would PM Addie. I have had good luck using that method.

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Forum support on 09/06/2011 11:02:28 MDT Print View

Hey guys!
Roger's been out walking for the past two months, and he keeps a much closer eye on the forums than I do. Asking for anything WITHIN the forums is a non-starter... but PMing me like Ken said (which someone who hasn't even posted in here finally did) is what got my attention. I'll NEVER intentionally ignore you. EVER.

I'm game to better organizing the forums, but I'm also wary of creating too many. I've seen this particular discussion before (a forum for pre-trip questions separate from the trip reports), but need to figure out what's the most useful. Order isn't any problem (it takes a bit of time on my end, but is otherwise easy to sort), so I guess my question is this: does everyone like Mary's idea bestest of all?

You can weigh in on this forum now. I'm following it and paying attention. :)
Addie out.

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Forum support on 09/06/2011 12:17:25 MDT Print View

I like Mary's idea bestest of all.

Aaron Benson
(AaronMB) - F

Locale: Central Valley California
Re: Re: Forum support on 09/06/2011 12:47:06 MDT Print View

I like Mary's idea, overall.

If three subforums is too many, perhaps Trip Planning and Trip Announcements/Hiking Partners can go into one section (as Dave T originally suggested), as they're kind of related.

Edited by AaronMB on 09/06/2011 12:49:31 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Forum support on 09/06/2011 12:51:09 MDT Print View

Addie, how interesting that you would post this today! Why, just last night I had a dream .... nee, a vision! In my vision a rather short brown bear with a bit of a belly wearing a CiloGear pack (or it could have been Ryan Jordan with a week-long growth, visions are always a bit fuzzy by nature......) appeared and loudly asked: "Am I a trip report? Am I asking for trip companions?" The bear/Ryan then loudly (visions are also often quite loud by nature......) exclaimed: "You don't know, do you!?! That's because the forums aren't labeled intelligently! Follow the granny, Follow the granny!"

Then it/he turned and vanished into some Jackson Hole bar painted on my wall. Whoa! So immediately I thought: "No more Irish Whisky before bedtime!" Then I fell back asleep, figuring I was just hallucinating. Wouldn't be the first time.

But then I saw your post! So the vision was true! Wow. Well, far be it from me to contradict a vision (even if it wasn't the kind of vision I would have preferred, why can't my visions look like Jennifer Anniston!?), so I'm voting with Mary's idea!

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
forum reorg. on 09/06/2011 14:05:29 MDT Print View

"Asking for anything WITHIN the forums is a non-starter... "

I suppose that begs the question of why there is a FORUM ADMIN & SUPPORT forum in the first place? (One more forum to eliminate!)

That said, I don't like the idea of more forums (there should be fewer), and I think my original request of a PRE-TRIP and POST-TRIP concept would be easiest and cleanest.

Thanks!

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Dave's gotta point on 09/06/2011 14:25:16 MDT Print View

But I can only be SO amazing. Didn't realize how heavily I leaned on Sam and Roger for forum moderation! I will try to do better.

/hangs head in shame

I cannot work on this particular issue today, since I still have the bigger of two large articles to polish up for publishing later today, the newsletter to craft, and all the internal customer support to answer. But soon, very soon, my pretties. ;)

Casey Bowden
(clbowden) - MLife

Locale: Berkeley Hills
Re: Dave's gotta point on 09/06/2011 15:06:43 MDT Print View

That said, I don't like the idea of more forums (there should be fewer), and I think my original request of a PRE-TRIP and POST-TRIP concept would be easiest and cleanest.

+1 Dave T

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Forum support on 09/06/2011 16:27:46 MDT Print View

Ah ha!

I'm willing to bet that Douglas Ide is the member who hadn't even posted that PMed Addie!

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
PLEASE rename TRIP REPORTS and TRIP ANNOUNCMENTS on 09/06/2011 16:52:36 MDT Print View

How about a 4th forum category: "Douglas Ide's Visions"?

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

"Douglas Ide's Visions" on 09/06/2011 17:04:23 MDT Print View

That would be a spiritual experience in and of itself! :)

Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

HOLLA! on 09/07/2011 14:28:29 MDT Print View

I only had to make one new forum. The other bits were just renaming, reordering, and fine-tuning the descriptions. There's a place for questions, a place for hiking partners, and a place for reports.

It's a good idea, and one I wish we'd done sooner. I'm sorry that it took me being a ding-dong first... but at least it keeps me humble. Ish.

Thanks all!

Edited by addiebedford on 09/07/2011 14:29:22 MDT.