Forum Index » GEAR » Solo Wilderness Security

Display Avatars Sort By:
Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Re: What a trainwreck this thread is... on 02/22/2013 12:48:20 MST Print View

As a paying member you can be your own mod and just skip the threads that you don't want to read; I certainly do that myself.
To request that a thread be moderated just because it makes you uncomfortable isn't really a long term solution. At least here things get discussed . Uncomfortable at times, but healthier in the long run.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: A very flat place (Grrrrrrrr)
Re: Re: What a trainwreck this thread is... on 02/22/2013 12:56:31 MST Print View

I hear you Kat.

David Olsen
(oware)

Locale: Steptoe Butte
cougar wrestler on 02/22/2013 14:18:10 MST Print View

"A former college wrestler fended off a cougar attack on a popular hiking trail in Olympic National Park by locking his legs around the animal and squeezing its throat with his hands. Phil Anderson survived the attack Friday afternoon even though he could not choke the young, 80-pound cougar into unconsciousness. "I couldn't quite get my hands around his neck to shut off his esophagus. I could see in his eyes he was going in and out. He was right on the verge of passing out, but his neck was way too muscular,"

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960527&slug=2331443

I wonder if he was from WSU? Go cougs!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: cougar wrestler on 02/22/2013 15:53:33 MST Print View

David,
Thank you for the link to the article. A young cat half the weight of the muscular human wrestler, and still put up a strong attack and damage. Most would not have a chance against a mature adult cat in full weight and experienced hunting skills.

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: cougar wrestler on 02/22/2013 15:54:58 MST Print View

Turns out the assailant is a low down no good Husky and Butch has filed a restraining order.Go Cougs

Oh yeah.... GO COUGS!

Daniel Fish
(daniel@fishfamilypdx.com)

Locale: PDX
... on 02/22/2013 22:00:07 MST Print View

Edited by daniel@fishfamilypdx.com on 06/12/2013 00:16:12 MDT.

Dirk R
(Dirk)
Re: Solo Wilderness Security on 02/23/2013 22:43:27 MST Print View

Daniel:

Thanks for the video, it brought some needed levity to this thread. After the crass, indefensible remark comparing Gandhi to a mule, the video and Ian's WSU Cougar photo at least made me smile.

Dirk

Matthew Hoskin
(mattgugel)

Locale: Kanangra-Boyd NP
Wilderness Security on 02/23/2013 23:29:29 MST Print View

Thankfully, here in Australia we don't need to carry an assault rifle ( either in the city or out in the bush). My biggest worry is ticks, stinging nettles, and the Dropbears!.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Wilderness Security on 02/24/2013 02:22:12 MST Print View

> biggest worry is ticks, stinging nettles, and the Dropbears!.
Also leeches, Bunyips, Drongobirds, and members of the Shooters Party.

Cheers

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Wilderness Security on 02/24/2013 02:28:14 MST Print View

Crazy Aussies!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Re: Wilderness Security (Australia) on 02/24/2013 12:05:48 MST Print View

Roger Caffin and others in Australia:

Can you please comment of these two youtube videos regarding Australia's gun control, ban and confiscation. As most media is biased and statistics are manipulated, your individual's perspective has more credibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6rLdbebQEU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGaDAThOHhA

Thank you

Ozzy McKinney
(PorcupinePhobia) - F

Locale: PNW
Aussies... on 02/24/2013 13:36:53 MST Print View

I'll admit to googling: bunyips, dropbears (which sound terrifying!), drongobirds, and Shooters Party.

None of the above were included in my only reference to Australia, Brysons "In a Sunburned Country"

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Solo Wilderness Security on 02/24/2013 15:43:12 MST Print View

Here's one perspective on the Australia gun control issue.

http://theconversation.edu.au/faking-waves-how-the-nra-and-pro-gun-americans-abuse-australian-crime-stats-11678

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Re: Aussies... on 02/24/2013 15:53:09 MST Print View

This is definitely off gear topic, probably belongs in Chaff...

Heard this debate on the radio, most of us grew up learning that Australia is a country but also the name of that continent. Then we hear words that sound like Sci Fi, such as Oceania , and Austral-Asia.

So what do you Aussie guys consider to be the name of your continent?

Please say Atlantis, one radio caller said that.

Bob Bankhead
(wandering_bob) - MLife

Locale: Oregon, USA
Solo Wilderness Security on 02/24/2013 16:28:49 MST Print View

I was always told the most dangerous things in the Australian bush were the snakes. Supposedly some of the most venomous snake species in the world call Oz home.

Some suspect their introduction was a sneaky Kiwi terrorist attack.

Either way, that should teach you Cobbers not to irritate the Wicked Witch of the West.