Forum Index » Gear Lists » September Gannett Gear List

Display Avatars Sort By:
S Long
(Izeloz)

Locale: Wasatch
September Gannett Gear List on 08/26/2011 22:33:35 MDT Print View

I will be leaving September 4th to hike Gannett Peak in Wyoming. I budgeted six days to just hang out up there and enjoy the mountains. I haven't yet added my Kahtoola crampons, Goretex socks or ice axe to the list, but I appreciate any comments anybody has. I am a little concerned about the MLD Burn being comfortable with the initial load. Any feedback? Thanks.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtYiS3YCdxhEdDBTUDNCYTgyanpxQ3hqRzZJUW9EQnc&hl=en_US

S Long
(Izeloz)

Re: September Gannett Gear List on 09/03/2011 19:31:03 MDT Print View

Anyone? I am worried I will be cold. Anyone been to the Winds lately that can comment on the bug situation or temps.?

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: September Gannett Gear List on 09/03/2011 23:47:49 MDT Print View

A regular Platypus would save you 3.5 oz.

Add:
pealess whistle
compass
maps

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: Re: September Gannett Gear List on 09/04/2011 00:02:50 MDT Print View

Expect nighttime temps down to 15*F or even 10*F. On the other hand, those temps will take care of the bugs! In September, if it storms, up high it will snow. Hopefully the snow will melt in a day or two, but the closer you get to October, the more apt the snow is to stay there. On the other hand, the daily thunderstorms of July and August tend to peter out by mid to late September.

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/04/2011 00:03:29 MDT.

Michael Levine
(Trout) - F

Locale: Long Beach
September Gannett Gear List on 09/05/2011 10:20:16 MDT Print View

At the point where you're trimming your neoair you already know your tradeoffs. If you're looking to go any significant amount lighter you might try the SUL forums. My only critiques would be the platypus as mentioned already, and toilet paper. Check out Mike clelland's poo clinic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmwxkD86Ec

Mary D
(hikinggranny) - MLife

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge
Re: September Gannett Gear List on 09/05/2011 12:55:57 MDT Print View

I took a look at your list this morning. You're gonna freeze! As it turns out, you're already out there freezing! Unless you're a really warm sleeper, you want a much warmer sleeping bag and pad! September at 11,000 feet elevation in northern Wyoming is not summer! I already mentioned the temps you'll encounter and the likelihood of snow.

Edited by hikinggranny on 09/05/2011 12:57:19 MDT.

S Long
(Izeloz)

Re: Re: September Gannett Gear List on 09/05/2011 17:44:43 MDT Print View

I actually had a delay and haven't left yet. Although the spreadsheet doesn't reflect it (because I am ashamed of the massive weight jump) I have added an old synthetic Mountain Hardwear bag that I have converted to a quilt to go over my WM Highlite. That also necessitated a larger (heavier) backpack. But I should be warm enough now. Thanks for the input.