Ken Ross
(kross) - MLife
Re: Zia grills on 09/07/2011 21:53:21 MDT Print View

I would like one grill please.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Zia grills on 09/10/2011 19:13:09 MDT Print View

Jim, thanks for letting me know that you received your grill. I hope it works for you. Be sure to contact me if you have any questions.

Chris, Kristin, and Ken, I will now check your PMs. I just got home from a 3-night BP trip into CO's Indian Peaks, and I'm pretty bushed and dirty. I'll get everything together tomorrow, and ship things out Monday.

Thanks for everyone's support and interest in the Zia products.

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Re: Anybody else want a Zia grill? on 09/12/2011 08:26:30 MDT Print View

Gary, payment sent per previous email.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Zia grill on 09/12/2011 08:34:55 MDT Print View

Thanks, Jacob. Your grill will go out today.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Why you want TWO Zia Grills on 09/12/2011 09:38:25 MDT Print View

I love my Zia grill and use it frequently to prepare fish when I go backpacking with my kids.

One issue I had at first whenever I tried to turn the fish was that it would stick to the grill. Sometimes it would then fall into the coals/fire when I tried to get it off.

When I asked Gary for a solution to connect two grills, he came up with a very simple idea that works great.Now I just flip the grill(s) with the fish inbetween.

Manfred
Cooking Lunch at Henry Coe

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Why you want TWO Zia Grills on 09/12/2011 09:50:43 MDT Print View

Manfred, it looks like you've been using your grills lately, as they have that color of veteran use. I've got to go hiking with you, so that I can eat what you eat! I'm glad that our idea worked well for you.

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Re: Why you want TWO Zia Grills on 09/12/2011 11:15:17 MDT Print View

Feel free to say "Hi" when you are on the West Coast. We like to complement our de-hydrated food with fresh fish and don't get tired of eating it for lunch and dinner.

Here is another photo where the grill looks cleaner. Thanks to the bag you provided with the grill I don't worry about cleaning the grill. I just stick it in there and I'm my other stuff is protected from the soot.

Manfred
Labor Day at Henry Coe

Edited by Orienteering on 09/12/2011 11:16:02 MDT.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
2 zia grill too here on 09/12/2011 13:31:20 MDT Print View

salmon

filets

When we hiked in Greenland i brought 2 but we fished and ate so much fish, that it was worthwile

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

2 zia grill too here on 09/12/2011 14:07:43 MDT Print View

Fred, your 2-grill setup is what gave me the idea for Manfred's. Actually, I rather like your 3-rod arrangement better, although it becomes a bit heavier. By connecting the 2 grills side by side, it provides quite a large cooking surface, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing your photos, both of you.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Zia grills now for sale to members and guests" on 09/12/2011 17:09:41 MDT Print View

Manfred -

How do you connect the two grills?

What kind of fish are in the top photo?

Nice solution to a problem I didn't even know I had yet!

Manfred Kopisch
(Orienteering) - F
Connection of two grills on 09/12/2011 17:40:19 MDT Print View

David,

Gary come up with the idea. You can see in the photos (especially the second) the thin titanium rod that is pushed through both ends of the Zia grill. There is one on each side. It is very simple and when needed you can easily pull them out to have twice the surface with the two grills next to each other. I leave them in there all the time.

The fish in the upper photo are crappies (Yes this fish is called crappie). Despite their name they taste really good. We caught them last weekend at Henry Coe. The kids and I hiked 5 miles into the park and camped at Kelly Lake. Right now is a perfect time. The water is still warm, so that the kids can swim, but the days are not any longer too hot for hiking there.

Manfred

Edited by Orienteering on 09/12/2011 17:45:44 MDT.

David Chilton
(Morning_Dew) - F
Paypal Sent on 09/12/2011 19:09:16 MDT Print View

Paypal on the way. Thanks!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Silly Stix question on 09/13/2011 16:54:00 MDT Print View

I need some advice from those of you that have purchased a set of the Stix. I remember a forum thread some time back when several of the members suggested to Lawson Kline that the points on his stakes were a bit too pointy. I am getting another large batch of the Stix made, and I am wondering if I should forget about putting points on the ends that go into the ground. Should I just round off the end a bit so that it doesn't scratch a backpack or stake bag, and leave it that? I expect that they will easily be pounded into the ground either way. Your feedback would be very welcome.

On another issue, I had brain-lock last week when I sent out 5 grills. The post office line was quite long, so I used their postage kiosk for the first time. I punched the button that said "flat envelope" instead of the "parcel" one. The postmaster told me the next day that the receiving post office might levy a postage due on the recipient. I have contacted the purchasers, and 3 of the 5 told me that they had received their package without a hitch. I am still waiting on Michael and Curtis to let me know if I owe them some postage. So if you see this thread, please let me know if you've received your package without problem.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 09/13/2011 17:00:34 MDT.

Diana Vann
(DianaV) - MLife

Locale: Wandering
Re: Silly Stix question on 09/13/2011 17:03:37 MDT Print View

I, for one, like Lawson's stakes just the way they are. I find them much easier to push into hard ground than my aluminum ones.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Silly Stix question on 09/13/2011 17:53:36 MDT Print View

Thanks for that, Diana. So you vote for a pointed end?

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
As Is on 09/13/2011 18:07:49 MDT Print View

"I, for one, like Lawson's stakes just the way they are. I find them much easier to push into hard ground than my aluminum ones."

I agree - they are just fine as they are!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Stix on 09/13/2011 18:56:58 MDT Print View

Thanks for your comment, Steve. So you received yours in good order? I'd like to know how they have worked for you. You see, that first round of Stix was a sort of "beta offering." I like the ones that I use a lot (my "seconds"), and I think that they work well (for several uses), but I wasn't too sure that you folks would find them all that useful. Please tell me I'm wrong, because today I committed to another 420 Stix to put up for sale in a few weeks.

James Nixdorf
(nixdorf1) - F
I'll take one! on 09/13/2011 20:17:58 MDT Print View

I've got an email on the way.

Thanks,
James

Stephen Barber
(grampa) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Great! on 09/13/2011 20:24:21 MDT Print View

Yes, my Silly Stix came through just fine. I haven't had a chance to use them on the trail yet, but should next week. They look great, and I think you should have no trouble selling the 400+ stix! I especially like the double duty as LONG ultralite tent stakes!

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Zia grill and Stix on 09/13/2011 21:50:24 MDT Print View

Steve, thanks for your your confimation of receipt, and for your positive comments. Your opinion carries a lot of weight for me.

James, I sent you an e-mail. You'll get a grill, as I have 40+ available.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 09/14/2011 06:38:45 MDT.