Back in the spring my father-in-law handed me two or three grocery bags full of rhubarb. Not knowing what I would do with so much I resorted to what my Mom would have done—I chopped it into small pieces, added some cardamom and sugar (to taste), and stewed the lot. I put the mixture in the freezer until about a month ago when I needed to fill some trays on the food dehydrator while drying fruit/applesauces for baby-girl's first wilderness trip.
The mixture dried just like fruit leather, albeit a little sticky. When it was dry I placed the leather on plastic wrap and rolled it up. It made a most delicious fruit leather - yummers. A few weeks later (between trips) I had some strawberries that were going to go bad if I didn't use them. So, in typical Laurie-fashion, they got dehydrated.
Fast forward to a rainy layover day at camp last week. Biscuits were on the breakfast menu. I had added a touch of sugar to the mix and was intending on putting raisins in them with a bit of cinnamon. Then I remembered that I had some of the rhubarb leather in my pack as part of our snack rations. When I pulled it out the little baggie of dried strawberries fell out too. I put both in my rehydration container, added boiling water, and waited about 10 minutes. Then I poured the mixture on our biscuits. It was really good (if I do say so myself) and it's something I will definitely do again.