Sept-Oct Scouting magazine article about packing light
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Sept-Oct Scouting magazine article about packing light on 08/25/2011 20:13:42 MDT Print View

The article is titled Go Farther, Faster With These Ultralight Essentials ... I always get suspicious when I see the word Essentials

But some of the suggestions I can definitely live with:

• Golite Shangri-la 3 ... the little brother of the Shangri-la 4+ that housed 5 of our scouts at Philmont in 2010

• 22 gram Baladeo knife

• size small RidgeRest Solite pad .... not for this old neoair addict but at 9 oz and an r-value of 2.8 it has a legitimate place in a UL kit

• last but not least, a frameless Granite Gear Virga pack ... great bang for the buck and weight for anyone who doesn't have all low volume gear

Edited by jcolten on 08/25/2011 20:14:37 MDT.

Ryan Elsey
(paintballswimguy) - F

Locale: Kansas City
I read that too... on 09/04/2011 10:03:16 MDT Print View

I thought that was a semi decent article as well. Good pack recommendation for sure.

Erik Basil
(EBasil) - M

Locale: Atzlan
Not THAT knife on 09/19/2011 14:40:11 MDT Print View

I own the 22g Baladeo, and I don't think it's an adequate Scout knife. It's light, indeed, but the minimalist design limits durability, utility and creates issues for how it's stowed/carried.

I love the knife, but it's not all-arounder.

John L Collins
(WVCubDad) - MLife

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail
Scouting ultralight article on 09/29/2011 21:06:25 MDT Print View

Finally got my copy today in the mail and that was the first article I read. Interesting, I guess I was hoping for a bit more but it was a good list of stuff to invest in. I hope they continue to do that and even do similar articles in Boy's Life.

John