November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sept-Oct Scouting magazine article about packing light
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Sept-Oct Scouting magazine article about packing light on 08/25/2011 20:13:42 MDT Print View

The article is titled Go Farther, Faster With These Ultralight Essentials ... I always get suspicious when I see the word Essentials

But some of the suggestions I can definitely live with:

• Golite Shangri-la 3 ... the little brother of the Shangri-la 4+ that housed 5 of our scouts at Philmont in 2010

• 22 gram Baladeo knife

• size small RidgeRest Solite pad .... not for this old neoair addict but at 9 oz and an r-value of 2.8 it has a legitimate place in a UL kit

• last but not least, a frameless Granite Gear Virga pack ... great bang for the buck and weight for anyone who doesn't have all low volume gear

Edited by jcolten on 08/25/2011 20:14:37 MDT.

Ryan Elsey
(paintballswimguy) - F

Locale: Kansas City
I read that too... on 09/04/2011 10:03:16 MDT Print View

I thought that was a semi decent article as well. Good pack recommendation for sure.

Erik Basil

Locale: Atzlan
Not THAT knife on 09/19/2011 14:40:11 MDT Print View

I own the 22g Baladeo, and I don't think it's an adequate Scout knife. It's light, indeed, but the minimalist design limits durability, utility and creates issues for how it's stowed/carried.

I love the knife, but it's not all-arounder.

John L Collins
(WVCubDad) - MLife

Locale: Not too far off the Tuscarora Trail
Scouting ultralight article on 09/29/2011 21:06:25 MDT Print View

Finally got my copy today in the mail and that was the first article I read. Interesting, I guess I was hoping for a bit more but it was a good list of stuff to invest in. I hope they continue to do that and even do similar articles in Boy's Life.