Benjamin Smith
(bugbomb) - F - M

Locale: South Texas
I have (a) six-pack(s) on 08/26/2011 09:01:22 MDT Print View

Golite Jam2 (backpacking)
Golite Ion (overnighters)
Mountainsmith Seraph (wife's)
Salomon Raid P Evo 20 (biking/running)
Homemade tiny sil/Dyneema pack (overnighters)
Homemade sil/Dyneema pack (backpacking)

Not as bad as I'd feared. But I've "recycled" and retired about 3-4 other homemade packs over the past few years.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
how many did I say on 08/26/2011 09:09:43 MDT Print View

Wow, left this thread yesterday afternoon and here I am, not counting daypacks or fanny packs it appears I have fourteen starting with a canvas Sacs Millet, an external frame A-16, Jenson Rivendell and ending with a couple of mostly homemade.
The most used is a Wild Things Andinista or possible a Sierra West Half-Dome, the least a Gregory Z-Pack.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: How many packs do you own? on 08/26/2011 09:29:51 MDT Print View

Let's see.... at least 7
GoLite Pinnacle
GG Murmur
GoLite 24 daypack
ULA P-1
and 3-4 old hydration and daypacks laying around.
Time to sell some stuff!

John Frederick Anderson
(fredfoto) - F

Locale: Spain
How many packs do you own? Four. on 08/26/2011 10:30:16 MDT Print View

Four in total.

In order of affection:

!/ Lowe Alpine cerca early 1980's 90 liter cordura bombproof heavyweight monster. I've been packpacking around the world with this thing four times, hiked all over from Oz, the Himalaya, Pyrenees, Rockies and it will probably out live me. I never want to carry it again, however.

2/ Golite Ion: Current go- to pack. I've evolved from the Lowe in about four years. Day/ over night pack, but recently used for a three nighter and could have done a couple more nights above the tree line. Superhero pack- mine's unmodified.

3/ Grivel 35: Severely cut down, but it is framed with a padded belt for when I take my 4x5 camera kit etc. It doubles as the wife's pack when we go out for a while.

4/ NF Verto 26: Just bought it, not sure I like it. Still getting it wired.

Sold and tried:

GG Murmur- too much volume and felt fragile for above tree line use, real comfy. I hated the roll top- YMMV.
ULA Circuit- too big for my load, this was my transition pack. I hated the roll top on this one too- YMMV
ULA Relay- Great, but the S/M too small for me. I'm looking for a M/L if anyone has one for sale.

I'd love a MLD Super Burn, but I'll wait to wear out the packs I have first. By then something spectacular in pack technoloy will have happened, ha ha ha...

Edited by fredfoto on 08/26/2011 10:31:18 MDT.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
3 packs on 08/26/2011 11:00:38 MDT Print View

I just have 3

Mariposa plus. Old design. Soo. To be updated to the aluminium frame.
Golite breeze. Still love this pack. Am I the only one who still uses one of these.
Old osprey aether 60. Hasn't been used in a while mostly just a loaner.

Daniel Allen
(Dan_Quixote) - F

Locale: below the mountains (AK)
Re: How many packs do you own? on 08/26/2011 13:00:04 MDT Print View

being a deal hound and a bit of a hoarder (I'm working on both, but it's never easy to pass up a great deal), I've got lots, several of which I've never used.

REI Stoke 19: school, biking, and dayhiking pack

Stoke 9: biking, running in cold weather

Jam 2 ('09): multi-day or 'weightier' training trips.

Ion: only overnighters so far, but I want to get more out of this one

REI Jet UL: I use this one mostly for soccer gear at this point, but it could fill a niche between my Jam and Ion if I went with a lower volume sleeping pad at 3-4 nights out, I guess.

TNF Terra 30: This was an early acquisition that's prettymuch just a loaner now.

Jansport Carson: Massive external frame I keep around in case one of my friends ever invites me hunting.

Vaude steeprock 30+8: I got this one super cheap, and my little sister is the only person to have used it so far (except for my family's cat, which urinated on it and a few others stacked in my closet)

2 Pinnacles: I haven't used either yet, but one is a loaner and the other may get sold or donated.

Also, I just got a ULA CDT from Will, and it's in the mail. I wonder how many of these it will render obsolete for me.

Oh, and an flash 18 I've been meaning to sell since I got the Ion. I should do that.

I also have a few laptop bags that I got for cheap, used for awhile, and eventually replaced/upgraded/just wanted something new. I did some rough accounting awhile back and realized that, excepting cooking and clothes, I could equip about 5 people to hike at the same time with just my redundant gear (provided they were about my size).

Thanks pyeyo, now I feel melancholy at my excess.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: How many packs do you own? on 08/26/2011 13:58:26 MDT Print View

all 3 are used regularly.

sub 5 overnights MLD Burn
2-3 nights GoLite Jam ('05)
4-7 nights ULA Ohm

i have this odd little habit of dumping stuff i dont use for over 3 months. keeps my gear closet minimal, organized. less is more!

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

there is no guilt on 08/26/2011 15:21:52 MDT Print View

I apologize if anyone now feels depressed by the reality, there is no guilt associated with this thread unless the pets are gnawing on each other for sustenance and the applicable children are seen dumpster diving on a regular basis.
Spousal units and grlfrndz think all packs look alike [well except for mine when I tried to explain putting packs inside packs was a normal storage solution] and besides, UPS and FedEx drivers need something to deliver.
I like fredfoto's comment "but I'll wait to wear out the packs I have first." Great bag o' wheat what a novel concept and I salute you.
Short of disappearance by theft or an animal digesting them most this stuff is pretty bulletproof unless as stated you use it for an above treeline haul sack.
I have a couple of tents, a tarp, and 2 sleeping bags - packs are my weakness, now where can I find a powder blue Granite Gear .... ?

Leigh Baker
(leighb) - F

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods
I have 3 on 08/26/2011 17:35:51 MDT Print View

None of which are UL
GraniteGear Vapor Ki for 2-3 day trip ( 14 lbs and under, anything more and my back begins to complain)
Deuter 45+15 for 5-6 days (I've only used it on one 5 day trip so far, and removed the lid to save 5 oz.)
and my first pack(I've only been doing this a year)a Deuter 55+10 which I'll sell just as soon as I convince myself that in the depths of winter I can still get my gear in the smaller Deuter :)

I have a bad lumbar disc and the Deuter packs work well for me.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Only Two on 08/28/2011 15:38:13 MDT Print View

Just have two, ULA Catalyst and OMM Jirshanca.

Will be trading up the Catalyst soon for an Aarn Pack.

Cheers,

Ryan Teale
(monstertruck) - F

Locale: Almost Yosemite
How many packs do you own? on 08/28/2011 20:16:29 MDT Print View

Racking my brain....

Camelback MULE

Golite ION

ULA AMP

ULA OHM

BPL/ULA Arctic Pack

BPL/ULA Prototype Arctic Pack

Osprey Aether 60 (2003)

I like them all and wouldn't get rid of any of them. I would like to update the OHM to the newer hipbelt. The Amp shoulder straps aren't my favorite but I'll use it till it wears out.

Mike W
(skopeo) - F

Locale: British Columbia
How many packs do you own? on 08/28/2011 21:14:40 MDT Print View

I own at least 10 packs and have used 5 of them in the last month.

Several of my packs are dedicated to my fishing trips as they tend to acquire an aroma that makes these packs a poor choice for non-fishing backpacking trips.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Too many on 08/31/2011 16:24:06 MDT Print View

LARGE PACKS:

Dana Designs Terraplane
REI Cruise UL 65
Camelback Commander (backcountry ski pack MUCH modified)
Tough Traveller Day-and-a-Half (Given to all us Nordic Patrollers who patrolled the '80 Winter Olympics)

DAY PACKS:
Vaude
Outdoor Products camo hunting pack
National Ski Patrol day pack
REI Flash convertable (from stuff sack to UL day pack)

FANY PACKS:
Five of various sizes. Two are Ski Patrol 1st Aid packs.

Edited by Danepacker on 08/31/2011 16:26:07 MDT.

Bobby Pack
(Piddler) - MLife

Locale: West Virginia
Thinking about thinning the gear pile on 08/31/2011 17:40:01 MDT Print View

Oh, I do have a pile of packs, they are beside the pile of shelters and under the pile of bags.

It all still fits in one closet and I only have two packs on order.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

nice sales pitch on 09/01/2011 14:29:57 MDT Print View

I'm going to use your sales pitch to sell my better half, "it all fits in one closet"

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
a few on 09/02/2011 18:25:30 MDT Print View

my biggest pack is a Golite Pinnacle- almost exclusively used for winter trips

ULA Ohm - 3 season general use

modified Ion- short SUL trips

Opsrey Talon 22 long day hikes/winter day hikes

Osprey 5.5 short day hikes/trail running

Marmot Kompressor- when I plan on a lot of day hiking out of a base camp

Kifaru Scout- big game hunting

Dana Designs Gallatin lumbar pack- big game hunting when I don't need as much pack as above

on my wish list a MLD Burn and if I ever draw a goat tag- Kifaru KU3700

Craig Savage
(tremelo) - F

Locale: San Jacinto Mountains
Re: How many packs do you own? on 09/02/2011 21:34:46 MDT Print View

I don't know, you tell me... I'd have no BPs if it were not for you

thanks Dad, I'll strive to do the same for mine

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
6 packs on 09/02/2011 22:25:34 MDT Print View

I have a damaged blast (quite a bit of duck tape), a zero (to replace the blast when the duck tape no longer works or it just gets too heavy from all the duck tape), a zpacks exo on the way (to use when it's a cross country bushwacking route so I don't have to duck tape the zero)and a Nimbus ozone which was such a comfortable backpack I could not bring myself to sell it.

I have a marmot zephyr and a marmot garmsal that are my beat to death training packs
and are both extremely comfortable 2 lb day packs that can be used for weekend trips if need be.

sun thechip
(sunthechip1) - F
# on 09/05/2011 18:16:59 MDT Print View

Zero :(

One is on the way though

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: I have (a) six-pack(s) on 09/05/2011 18:28:54 MDT Print View

ULA Catalyst
Kelty Yeti 4300
REI Great Star
Dana Designs Astralplane
And soon one of William Zila's packs

I have a couple other packs that I'd use for day hikes and cycling, and more for motorcycle and computer.