November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Fifty minute climbs
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz

Locale: Bay Area
Fifty minute climbs on 08/20/2011 22:52:23 MDT Print View

I like to walk in 50 minute segments separated by a 5-10 minute break. I usually time the segments.

On a recent trip we would rest at the start of the climbs. When we set out again I would start my watch.

Over and over again the climb wold take right around 50 minutes. Even if we didn't top out, we would stop at a natural break point where the trail leveled out for a bit and sure enough, the watch would show right around fifty minutes.

It became a running joke......

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
sense of time on 08/21/2011 11:09:55 MDT Print View

I have a wierdly good sense of time's passage and can often guess the time within 2-3 minutes so it doesn't surprise me you may have adapted to naturally time your breaks.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
40 degree trip on 08/21/2011 17:12:51 MDT Print View

For some reason this reminds me of a backcountry ski trip I once took that my buddy and I came to refer to as the "40 degree trip" becasue the temperature for the entire trip was 40 degrees - day and night for 4 days. After the first couple of days it became a running joke - we'd joke about not needing to look at the thermometer, then we'd look anyway and it would indeed still be 40 degrees.