Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Fifty minute climbs

Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Fifty minute climbs on 08/20/2011 22:52:23 MDT Print View

I like to walk in 50 minute segments separated by a 5-10 minute break. I usually time the segments.

On a recent trip we would rest at the start of the climbs. When we set out again I would start my watch.

Over and over again the climb wold take right around 50 minutes. Even if we didn't top out, we would stop at a natural break point where the trail leveled out for a bit and sure enough, the watch would show right around fifty minutes.

Bizarre.

It became a running joke......

spelt the enigmatic
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
sense of time on 08/21/2011 11:09:55 MDT Print View

I have a wierdly good sense of time's passage and can often guess the time within 2-3 minutes so it doesn't surprise me you may have adapted to naturally time your breaks.

Paul McLaughlin
(paul) - MLife
40 degree trip on 08/21/2011 17:12:51 MDT Print View

For some reason this reminds me of a backcountry ski trip I once took that my buddy and I came to refer to as the "40 degree trip" becasue the temperature for the entire trip was 40 degrees - day and night for 4 days. After the first couple of days it became a running joke - we'd joke about not needing to look at the thermometer, then we'd look anyway and it would indeed still be 40 degrees.