Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/17/2011 09:51:40 MDT Print View

I'm looking for a good trip for my second backpacking trip hopefully happening in September. I hiked the Pine Mountain Trail here in Ga in April. We left camp later and arrived earlier than we expected with 10 mile days. I'm looking for something staying in the Southeast area and either comparable or a bit more challenging than that.

I am currently not sure of how many days I will be getting to take since it depends on whether I can find a hiking buddy to go with or not, but I'm thinking anywhere from 3-7 days on trail with a one day cap on either end for travel and rest.

Trails I'm currently considering are: The Foothills Trail (thru or section) and The Bartram Trail. I'd like to try a loop trail including a section of the AT, possibly something in the Smokeys but I'm concerned about planning something that is over my head. I had almost decided that I wanted to do The Foothills Trail as a thru hike but got some conflicting reports on the difficulty so anyone who can shed light on that, it would help out.

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/17/2011 20:27:37 MDT Print View

Have you considered Savage Gulf in TN? It would be easier than anything on the AT,the Smokies, or the Bartram Trail. It would probably be easier than the Foothills Trail too.

Figure out how many days you can be out and how many miles you want to hike per day and I might be more help.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Savage Gulf on 08/17/2011 21:48:05 MDT Print View

Savage Gulf is pretty close eto me but I haven't been yet. Is it nice?

Joslyn Bloodworth
(JoslynB) - F

Locale: Southwest
Re: Re: Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/17/2011 22:28:20 MDT Print View

I had not heard of it before but after checking it out, it looks nice. After looking at my schedule closer, I'm thinking a 3-4 day trip with 10-12 mile days depending on the difficulty possibly more if there is a lot of flat areas.

Brian Hall
(brian2o0o) - F
Bartram/ AT 52mile loop on 08/18/2011 08:08:49 MDT Print View

Check out the Bartram/ AT loop(52 miles). Great views and plenty of water. You can leave your car at the NOC, but check with them first in the outfitter store.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/60410

Eddy Walker
(Ewker)

Locale: southeast
Re: Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/18/2011 09:15:46 MDT Print View

Sheltowee Trace is 280 miles long. It starts in Tn at Pickett State Park and ends up in Ky.

http://www.sheltoweetrace.com/

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/18/2011 11:38:01 MDT Print View

Depending on where you are located, do some searches on the Big South Fork National River & Recreation area. It's a beautiful area that will offer solitude and a good trail system. Has parts of the aforementioned Sheltowee Trace and also a TN version of the John Muir Trail. This JMT is about 50 miles long.

Ryan

Chris Lucas
(ChemE) - F

Locale: SC
Big South Fork on 08/18/2011 14:58:15 MDT Print View

Love Big South Fork, I miss living in Cookeville, TN and being close to it. Funny that you mention the foothills trail, I recently became aware of it and am contemplating hiking it as well.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: Big South Fork on 08/18/2011 15:56:43 MDT Print View

Same here. I used to live in Cookeville too, went to TN Tech from 01-04. Those were the days...

Ryan

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: Savage Gulf on 08/18/2011 19:26:03 MDT Print View

Savage Gulf is a neat place. It has the Cumberland feel somewhat like Big South Fork, that is different than the Appalachians.

Zach Vaughter
(Zach_V) - F

Locale: High Country
Benton MacKaye Trail on 08/22/2011 20:45:48 MDT Print View

You should check out the BMT, its pretty awesome. It was a favorite destination on mine while living and going to school in Boone, NC

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/22/2011 20:55:34 MDT Print View

The Art Loeb will get you pretty much everything you'd see on an AT thru in 30ish miles. You can do it in 3 days or stretch it to 4 with some side hikes or if you really want to take it easy. The only logistical issue is that you'd need a shuttle. If you decide you want to pursue this one, PM me and I might be able to shuttle you depending on timing.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
sourheast on 08/23/2011 11:26:00 MDT Print View

The GA section of the BMT is awesome. There is a BMT/AT/Duncan Ridge loop that is probably some of the hardest hiking I've done.

The GA bartram is easy peasy after the climb to rabun bald but is a wonderful trail I'll actually be there on labor day weekend.

The Coosa backcountry loop in Vogel state park is a challenging overnighter.

Slickrock creek/ Joyce Kilmer wilderness have some awesome trails. The view from the top of the hangover is probably the best in the southeast.

There are many possibilities in the cohuttah/big frog wildernesses. Jacks river and the conasuaga river are wild and beautiful.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
Re: Trip Suggestions? - Southeast US on 08/24/2011 23:45:38 MDT Print View

The Benton MacKaye and the AT form a figure-8 so there are at least three loops that can be done from them. It's rough terrain from what I've read, and I'm not sure what the time frame would be, but that's an option.