Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » General Map ?'s

Display Avatars Sort By:
Einstein X
(EinsteinX) - F

Locale: The Netherlands
Re: Re: Re: General Map ?'s on 12/13/2006 08:24:55 MST Print View

So far, thu Ordnance Survey Maps have been the best I found. I like the 1:25000 scale most cause of the huge detail. Only sucks having to take 10 or so on a two week hike. Even after trimming and having half of them in my re-suply parcel.

I have been thinking about photocpying maps onto TP if such a think is even possible. Would make maps multi purpose and disposable. The problem arrises however when you really have to go and only TP you have left is that of trail still ahead of you :+

Eins

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
The map break on 02/04/2007 20:09:02 MST Print View

I love maps, maybe it explains my lack of want for a GPS.
I use 1:25000 for hiking but also employ 1:100000 and 1:150000 maps when trip planning.

I was introduced to the "map break" by an old bushwalker I worked with when I was a young office worker.
Instead of lunch and reading a book he'd pull out a topo map of the Bluey's or some other bush area and just stare at it whilst eating his sandwiches. This became contagious until myself and another outdoors fan were also having 'map breaks'. Like good books we would swap maps for a day or two and pour over new terrain, plan hypothetical trips, debating the best routes, locations etc. A bit weird really but it has benefitted me.
I can sometimes picture vast areas of map in my mind and bushwalking friends look at me weirdly when I recall the names of every feature in a walk or vista from memory.

We had a big A0 photocopier at our office for copying engineering designs so needless-to-say the 'map break trio' all ended up with many black-and-white maps in our collections (I would colour the rivers/creeks blue on my photocopies....).

I like to look at a place name or an old dead-end trail on a map and work out why its there or what is the reason for the name.

whilst planning a long mountainbike ride many years back, we covered my whole loungeroom floor with topos as we studied the route over dinner. Curry, beer and maps... strangely enjoyable! (no beer or curry was spilt on the maps).

When bushwalking I sometimes take a larger scale map so I can sit at a high point and view the surrounds as they relate to the map - see if the reality matches my imagination. I like to do this whilst eating lunch...
...it makes for a nice map break.

Matthew Swierkowski
(Berserker) - F

Locale: Southeast
Re: General Map ?'s on 02/07/2007 10:52:55 MST Print View

Yeah, I love maps too. Usually when I am planning a trip I sit and stare at them day after day after day prior to the trip to the point that sometimes I can actually remember a good portion of the planned route without even pulling out the map in the field. For example, I have a trip planned to the Sierras this August. First I had to buy the CA TOPO!. Then I printed out the 1:24,000 scale sheets for the proposed routes I am thinking of doing, which I have been staring at since late last year.

Anyway, yeah they're great. I typically like looking at 1:24,000 scale topographic maps for hiking, but in general I will buy maps anytime I go to a new area for any reason. A business trip somwhere for example. I would buy a map of the city I was going to be in. Then next time I go there I can pull that map out of the file and take it with me.

I don't write on maps If I had to purchase them in a hard copy (paper) form, but I would write on maps printed out from a program like TOPO!.

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: General Map ?'s on 02/07/2007 16:40:02 MST Print View

Me too! I abolutely love maps and especially topographical maps. Often when I am too tired to read at night I will examine prospective hikes or past ones on a topo. My prized map possession is a 1:50,000 scale, 1902 survey map of the Eastern Half of the Grand Canyon.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
maps rock on 02/11/2007 19:19:33 MST Print View

I don't understand my obsession with maps. To see our 3D world represented on a flat piece of paper amazes me.

Imagine back in ancient times when man first began to draw maps on cave walls. Then there was a big moment that flashed in someone's mind to make the map in a form that could be carried. This could have been a big rock map.

This then immediately spawned the backpacking light industry : )

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
More on maps on 02/14/2007 13:09:37 MST Print View

I, too, live for Andrew Maher's "Map Breaks. "

What I especially enjoy is the transition from imagining the landscape to realizing it, the difference between what I saw in my mind from what I saw with my eyes, and felt with my body.

What kind of people are we that love these maps so? My wife doesn't love them, for instance. Is it a right brain/left brain thing? Are we the analyst types?

Any left-handed map lovers out there?

Douglas Frick
(Otter) - MLife

Locale: Wyoming
Re: More on maps on 02/14/2007 14:35:12 MST Print View

>Any left-handed map lovers out there?

Yup.

Miles Barger
(milesbarger) - F - M

Locale: West Virginia
Maybe? on 02/14/2007 14:42:42 MST Print View

Roman, nice to see you back on the forums again! I hope you have been on wonderful adventures. I may be working in Denali this summer, so I may have more map and other questions for you than you'd even care to answer.

But back on topic... my roommate and I were just having this conversation the other day. He, like you and me, loves maps. Covets maps. Pours over maps. He is also a right-brainer, chemistry and math major. Although I'm not what one might think of as stereotypically right brained (English and music composition major), I do have an analytical bent. Still, it's hard to say.

Like you alluded to, the best part is looking at a map to dream, then being there and comparing, and then, perhaps best of all, looking at a map to remember. You can take a huge state map and say, "I was there, and there, and that's so-and-so lake," and everything that's abstractly represented on the map ties to a memory in your mind and body. It's a wonderful sensation!

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Re: More on maps on 02/15/2007 16:29:05 MST Print View

Yep left handed too.

I remember reading a joke:
Q) How do you torture an engineer?
A) Tie him up then make him watch you fold a map the wrong way.

This is very true.

Roman Dial
(romandial) - F - M

Locale: packrafting NZ
Re: Maybe? on 02/16/2007 00:34:15 MST Print View

Miles,

Yes, back from a month long tropical ecology course I teach every couple years. We went to Borneo. Found and climbed some very tall trees there -- redwood sized tropical hardwoods, too, with my Australian tree climbing friends.

Also doing an 88 hour WFR course over a ten day period on top of full time job with new responsibilities. Have to limit my recreational forum time, I am afraid.

But I am a compulsive analyst, cartophile.