Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Snow in Wellington
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Snow in Wellington on 08/15/2011 17:18:36 MDT Print View

Very cute, cool, fun, wonderful video of a very unusual event - snow in Wellington. Love the expression on the faces! Enjoy!

Edited by idester on 08/15/2011 17:19:10 MDT.

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Re: Snow in Wellington on 08/15/2011 18:16:35 MDT Print View

Yeah that's a fantastic video.

I've lived in the northern hill suburbs of Wellington for the past 15 years and we've had the odd snow flurry here at 150m ASL but nothing that settled on the ground, so the past two days of snow has been freakingly amazing! The back lawn has been covered with 15-20 cm of snow. School's been closed so my kids have spent all day outside riding toboggans, making snowmen and snowangels, and fighting running snowball wars with the other kids in the street. I've been "working" from home but really have been just a big kid along with everyone else.

The sun has come out this morning so the snow is slowly melting but there is still enough snow for another good toboggan run.

I've got a trip planned into my favourite local mountains the Tararuas for the following weekend. Looks like I will have to break out the ice-axe and crampons. Yee-hah.

I know for some BPLer's this isn't all that much snow, but we've been having a blast, although I can see if the snow stayed for a while you could get quite sick of it.

Wellington Snow 1

Wellington Snow 2

Jason Elsworth
(jephoto) - M

Locale: New Zealand
Snow in Wellington on 08/16/2011 01:23:16 MDT Print View

Now we've even got our own ski slope http://www.stuff.co.nz/5453087/Skiing-on-Mt-Kaukau-Wellington