Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
AT hike in Georgia
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sanad Toukhly
(Red_Fox) - MLife

Locale: South Florida
AT hike in Georgia on 08/15/2011 15:43:02 MDT Print View

Hi,

my roommate and I want to section hike the AT through Georgia this week. I have a good amount of experience backpacking, but my roommate is not as experienced. The weather report shows highs in the upper 80s, lower 90s and lows in the lower to upper 60s. I would like hear from someone with experience hiking this area if this weather forecast is accurate or if I should expect something different. I also had a concern with bugs. The hike is all above 2500 ft according to the map I found online, so I was wondering if bugs are an issue at all. Also, the map I will be using can be found at the following link:

http://www.georgia-atclub.org/publications/GA-ATMap-Profile.pdf

I wanted to know if a laminated version of this map and a small compass would be sufficient navigation aids for this hike.

I was also wondering about the availability of water. Do most of the shelters along the AT in Georgia have water or are a lot of them dried up this time of year?

My last concern is getting a shuttle. I already posted in the trip announcements section asking for a shuttle up to the north end of the trail so we can hike back to my truck, but if I can't find anyone to give me a shuttle, could I get some recommendations for good shuttle services in that area?

Any other helpful advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Sid

EDIT: added water concern
EDIT: added shuttle concern

Edited by Red_Fox on 08/15/2011 15:48:53 MDT.

JJ Mathes
(JMathes) - F

Locale: Southeast US
Georgia AT hike on 08/15/2011 18:58:38 MDT Print View

Sandy- contact Mountain Crossings, they should be able to answer all your questions and hook you up with a shuttle. They are located on the AT at mile 30, you'll pass through there, good place to take a break, outfitter, resupply, hostel, shower, laundry...

888-689-4647

Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: AT hike in Georgia on 08/16/2011 18:27:08 MDT Print View

1. That forecast seems about right. It has been in the 60’s and 70’s at the higher elevations further north in TN/NC but has been brutally hot in the valley with temps near or over 100 and high humidity.
2. The ATC maps or Nat Geo maps are probably the best, but in all honesty a map and compass isn’t needed on the AT.
3. It has been pretty dry in many areas. I have yet to have any problems with water but I would go to whiteblaze or call Mountain Crossings to get the latest report.
4. Call Wes Wisson for a shuttle at 706-747-2671. I have used him for shuttles several times and he is fair and honest.