Smokies considering charging for backcountry camping
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mark Olson
(Mickeydude1972) - MLife

Locale: ILLINOIS
Re: Smokies considering charging for backcountry camping on 08/18/2011 21:26:57 MDT Print View

I think the fees for the National Parks and backcountry permits are way too cheap. I have been to Gsmnp, Yellowstone and Glacier this year and it only costs $25 for Yellowstone and Glacier and GSMNP is free. I would have paid $100 for a 7 day pass. Yellowstone does not have enough rangers and the government does not fund the parks enough to keep up. These parks need to make money to survive and I think this is a good thing.

However, I do agree they should maybe charge a fee at the gate like others to generate revenue for operations.

Edited by Mickeydude1972 on 08/19/2011 08:30:32 MDT.

Ryan Elsey
(paintballswimguy) - F

Locale: Kansas City
recent experience on 08/24/2011 09:41:27 MDT Print View

I recently covered the whole park, on the AT. Never saw a ranger the whole time. Honestly, i think the backcountry could use a few more rangers as well. It was ridiculous to watch people trying to burn all of their trash, in the shelter fireplaces. Most of the trash that they tried to burn were backpackers pantry type packages with the aluminum foil liners.

Josh Platt
(EasternBox) - F

Locale: Southeast
smoky story on 08/25/2011 22:21:00 MDT Print View

The last time I was in the smokies, I slept in a shelter there that had very recent bear activity. Everyone was chatting and what not, then a moron started talking about the "new" womens movement (incredibly sexist comments) and african americans ruining our country and dropped the "N" bomb. Made me and my girlfriend very uncomfortable and I was going to say something until I noticed people were straight up agreeing with him. After his tangent, he starts cooking inside the shelter. At this point, I'm out. My girlfriend and I lowered our bear hung bags, packed up, and walked a mile and set up camp.

The next morning, I ran into a ranger in the parking lot. I told him everything.

I will pay money to keep people like him out.