Campsuds: How much to bring?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Campsuds: How much to bring? on 08/14/2011 15:32:54 MDT Print View

Using campsuds (biodegradable soap) is unfamiliar territory for me. I know the stuff is concentrated, but I have absolutely no clue how much I need to bring on my upcoming JMT (21 days estimated)

Relevant Info and intended uses:
Will be used to wash hands before food prep
We will be washing a 1.3L pot twice a day (breakfast and dinner)
We will probably use a bit to bathe (every 2-3 days, e.g. hair, face, body)
Will be using in combination with hand sanitizer after using the bathroom

Any guidelines (e.g. something like .75 oz per Person, for 10 days etc) would be a great. Thanks guys!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 08/14/2011 15:44:44 MDT.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Campsuds: How much to bring? on 08/14/2011 16:12:14 MDT Print View

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. Not sure how campsuds compares to dr bronner's, but I ended up just filling a leftover 1oz visine bottle with dr bronner's and intend to use it for 2 people and 17 days.

Also, in Mike C's book he lists 0.7oz for his model 10 day, 3 season trip....so maybe I should bring a little more.

When do you start? I'm leaving from Happy Isles on Friday.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Campsuds: How much to bring? on 08/14/2011 16:19:58 MDT Print View

On a recent trip, I had packed for 5-6 days, and that included 0.3 oz of liquid soap in a 0.2 oz bottle. By the end of the trip in 4 days, I had not touched the soap. There had been plenty of water all along the way.

--B.G.--

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
campsuds on 08/15/2011 11:32:42 MDT Print View

Chris, thanks for the tip. I must have somehow missed/forgotten about that Tip in Mike's book. I'll reread that section again. I won't be starting til the first week of Sept, so you got a headstart on me :D Enjoy your trip!