Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
BPL's Logo
Display Avatars Sort By:
Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
BPL's Logo on 08/13/2011 00:14:24 MDT Print View

I love BPL's circle/mountain/feather logo. It's so classic, simple, and right on target for what it's meant to represent. Who created it?

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"BPL's Logo" on 08/13/2011 00:25:45 MDT Print View

Absolutely Pilate, it's a great design.

I don't know who created it but I know I still have my heart set on the yet to materialize diecut BPL sticker!

Barry Cuthbert
(nzbazza) - MLife

Locale: New Zealand
Re: BPL's Logo on 08/13/2011 01:52:57 MDT Print View

When I first saw it I thought the white area looked like an elephant... what does an elephant have to do with backpacking light?

It took a while to train the eyes to see the feather and the mountains.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
BPL's Logo on 08/13/2011 06:58:01 MDT Print View

Eugene,
Forget the sticker and just go all in with a tattoo, be a man.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"BPL's Logo" on 08/13/2011 09:22:50 MDT Print View

@ Thom,

I tried, but my wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of me having a tattoo on the small of my back.

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
BPL's Logo on 08/13/2011 11:57:46 MDT Print View

Eugene,
I was thinking more along the lines of a shoulder or calf as a location for the tattoo.

It kind of reminds me of the Tyson tattoo, I guess you could be bold and opt for a facial setting.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
BPL temporary tattoo? on 08/13/2011 12:07:14 MDT Print View

Reading this thread, I had a flash of inspiration - we could do a group buy on custom temporary tattoos of the BPL logo! OK, maybe not...

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Elephant? on 08/13/2011 13:00:19 MDT Print View

Not an elephant but a mastodon!

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
logo on 08/17/2011 14:30:33 MDT Print View

I am also of the group who repeatedly sees the mastadon, followed closely by the mountains. However, I had never noticed the feather until just now and I it that much more for it.

+1 to Eugene and the sticker idea. I'd get one. They might could even be used as a 'free gift' for purchasing a membership? Or maybe just offered for purchase to Members? I won't suggest 'availability to M-LIFE'rs only' because I would really like one =)

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
mountains and elephants and trail runners, oh my on 08/19/2011 21:20:22 MDT Print View

I saw a trail runner with a feather underneath it, which made perfect sense to me given all the minimalist shoe talk. It took months before I realized it was supposed to be mountains.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Reminds me of the Young lady or Old Hag illusion. on 08/19/2011 22:56:26 MDT Print View

Young lady or Old Hag?

Ken T.
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Reminds me of the Young lady or Old Hag illusion. on 08/19/2011 23:35:55 MDT Print View

I guess I've been married too long. I just see the old hag. She's right behind me isn't she....

The logo always reminds me of a feather and a toupee.

It always makes me think of this sign too

dude

Clint Wayman
(cwayman1)

Locale: East Tennessee, US
stickers on 08/24/2011 09:31:20 MDT Print View

just typing out loud here... but how hard would it REALLY be to get stickers made? Permission from BPL+ high-res image (larger then ~40 x 40 pixels found in Google search)+ group-buy commitment+ a bit of time = AWESOME stash of BPL stickers? Different sizes? Any ideas? I wouldn't mind putting something together if there's interest/ it's feasible.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
Thanks everyone on 08/24/2011 13:41:56 MDT Print View

Thanks for forever ruining the BPL logo for me. I cannot unsee the mastodon ;)

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
No, not a mastodon on 12/31/2014 10:06:00 MST Print View

I was packing up my Absoroka last night to see if my 3-night gear kit would fit, and to test my mods, when I was reminded of this thread. Upon close inspection, I've decided that the logo isn't really a stinking mastodon after all. It's a very rare bulb-nose pointy tail double hump whale of the far north Pacific. He's descending to chase the tail of his girlfriend, which is what they like to do (she's off the screen to the lower right).

Pointy tail whale

I was watching a stupid football game and my eyes wandered over to the pack near the TV and something else dawned on me. I think I know why I've never been attacked by a mountain lion from behind while wearing this pack.

Cat pack

Does it not look pretty much like the face of the biggest, baddest cat ever? I mean, look at the pointy gray ears, the wide open orange mouth, the heavy jowls, the orange Scunci eyes, and those orange whiskers. That would likely scare off a big hungry cougar, let alone the average predatory mastadon.

Yep--I have a vivid imagination, and also too much free time on my hands.

Daryl and Daryl
(lyrad1) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth
Re: No, not a mastodon on 12/31/2014 11:10:09 MST Print View

Gary,

I've thought of making my pack back look like a face for the benefits you mention. Your pack inspires me to proceed.

Your pack also looks friendly so it would give me someone(thing) to talk to you when I'm hiking alone(think soccer ball from that Tom Hanks where he was ship(plane)wrecked on an isolated island).

Hoot Filsinger
(filsinger) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: No, not a mastodon on 12/31/2014 12:22:13 MST Print View

Gary, you better check the logo again as this is what mine displays.

Logo