Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Overnighter in the Whites on Monday 8/15 anyone?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

Locale: Southern Maine
Overnighter in the Whites on Monday 8/15 anyone? on 08/12/2011 10:52:18 MDT Print View

I found out I can sneak away next Monday night and was wondering if anyone else might be interested in doing the same. I was thinking about a Chocorua loop. Head up the Piper side and stay at either Jim Liberty or Penacook, then catch the sunrise from the summit, and finish with the Three Sisters Loop on Tuesday. I was also kicking around the idea of maybe the Kinsmans with a stay at Kinsman Pond Shelter or hit Moosilauke and stay at Beaver Brook. Anyone want to meet up? I'm plenty open to other routes as well.

Eric Jahn-Clough
(ejcfree) - F - M

Locale: off grid
next time on 08/13/2011 13:00:29 MDT Print View

Thanks for the open invite. I'll take a rain check. Your post in the get together thread got me remembering. A buddy and I did a nice loop over Garfield, Lincoln, and Lafayette? and back the valley some years ago. We bivied in the trees near the summit of Lafayette?. The morning brought a complete whiteout in the clouds, a little way down trail we came to an open ridge where the wind carried long streams of cloud all around us and the rocks with no view below or anywhere. We sat there for a long while, it was really neat. I also recall a day long past with my father near the summit of Washington one November. Again a windy whiteout but now just below freezing. A thick layer of flaky hoar frost formed very quickly in huge 3 or 4 inch crystals all over the rocks. A totally surreal sort of landscape. The White Mnts. are a great spot, and they get some real weather.
Have a nice trip, Eric

Edited by ejcfree on 08/13/2011 13:02:26 MDT.

Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

Pemi Loop? on 08/14/2011 07:05:38 MDT Print View

Sounds like you were up on the Pemi Loop, one of my favorite hikes. I usually try and hit that 2 or 3 times a year. I love the weather conditions there. My last trip of 2010 there was in October, I was up on South Twin and there was this crazy cloud system rushing up and over the ridge about 20 feet off the ground. It was perfectly clear below the clouds, but thick as pea soup above. If you find yourself looking for a hiking partner in New England, drop me a line :)

Aaron

PS - Here's a shot from the Pemi in May, heading toward Lafayette

Pemi Loop Lafayette

Eric Jahn-Clough
(ejcfree) - F - M

Locale: off grid
lets get together on 08/18/2011 14:36:10 MDT Print View

Aaron,
I hope you had an enjoyable trip on the 15th. PM me your e-mail or phone and I'll contact you when I get home. Right now I'm having some foot trouble and I've bailed on one trip in favor of a few days at the hot springs in Thermopolis, WY. Camped last night near a ghost mining town in the wide open sagebrush land that I normally pass right by, really stark and interesting. In 2 days I'm going to meet a fellow over in Idaho for a week of fishing along Big Creek in The Frank Church Wilderness. I really want to do this (never been there and I'll improve my rookie fly fishing as this guy has plenty experience) so I'm going to push my foot. I'll see what it feels like and what I can rustle up for work, but I'm really interested in doing some backpacking this fall.
See you later, Eric

snow drift lake

Snow Drift Lake and Avalanche Divide, Grand Teton NP 8/7/11

Aaron Lehoux
(aaronjayl)

Nice shot! on 08/18/2011 16:32:36 MDT Print View

Looks like some beautiful scenery! Can you say jealous? Never been there and am dying to go some day. Sadly, I didn't end up going on Monday. The forecast ended up calling for rain both days so I decided to get ahead on some school work so I can try and go next Monday instead. I get so little time right now between work and school that if I can shift things for better weather, then I don't hesitate. Hope you're enjoying your travels. Make sure to post or send me some pics so I can live vicariously...lol