Sewing netting, straight or zig zag stitch?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Rob Hubbard
(robwa10) - F

Locale: England
Sewing netting, straight or zig zag stitch? on 08/12/2011 09:01:54 MDT Print View

Just wondering what other people do when sewing no-see-um netting in the following situations. Do you use a straight stich, zig zag or both?

1. Sewing it to itself.
2. Sewing it to a zip.

Thanks

Tim Zen
(asdzxc57) - F

Locale: MI
Re: Sewing netting, straight or zig zag stitch? on 08/12/2011 14:48:11 MDT Print View

Do you have any tents with netting? See how the netting is attached.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Sewing netting, straight or zig zag stitch? on 08/12/2011 15:52:15 MDT Print View

I find that sewing with netting is kind of a pain. I use a piece of ironed binding tape to reinforce the edge of the netting, and then make a felled seam out of it using any stitch. Then, I can join similar netting panels to the tent material or to a zipper. The trick is in finding some binding tape that is thin and light, yet strong enough that the stitching won't tear out of it.

--B.G.--

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: .
Re: Sewing netting, straight or zig zag stitch? on 08/12/2011 16:22:58 MDT Print View

Zigzag if you need it to have stretch, straight otherwise.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Sewing netting, straight or zig zag stitch? on 08/12/2011 20:17:54 MDT Print View

> Zigzag if you need it to have stretch, straight otherwise.

+1. I did straight stitch where it joined the tarp and zipper and zig-zag where I joined netting pieces.