Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Hiker's death prompts $10 million in claims against Olympic National Park

Display Avatars Sort By:
HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Re: Hiker's death prompts $10 million in claims against Olympic National Park on 08/17/2011 17:30:38 MDT Print View

Think it's common sense that a person takes some risk exiting their residence but then if a meteor hit a home, NASA would likely get sued in this economy. Taken to an extreme, agencies and private owners might want hikers to take a "course" to be certified to walk in the backcountry one day.

Might need to get certified to leave your residence, since this could be applied to dogs in city limits. At this rate, we will all be hiking and camping in stealthy Multicam...

Edited by hknewman on 08/17/2011 17:32:52 MDT.

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Goat spray on 08/17/2011 18:05:18 MDT Print View

I think the best goat spray would contain human urine. Just spray/squirt it on the closest goat. The others in the herd will then lick and paw it to death.
Seriously though, last time I was swarmed by goats, I was happy to have my ice axe with me. They were more aggressive than my comfort level allowed. I think one trick is to never turn your back on one. Both times I have been charged, it was after I backed away from them. They stared me down until I turned my back. Then he charged.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Hiker's death prompts $10 million in claims against Olympic National Park on 08/17/2011 18:58:33 MDT Print View

I was in the Enchantments a couple years ago and goats walked within a few feet of us, I had to shoo it away, didn't seem aggressive though.

Last summer I hiked from Hurricane Ridge to Mt. Angeles. There was a warning sign about aggressive goats. I didn't see any. I think that was a warning about the goat that eventually killed someone.

I don't know the full story, but if there was an aggressive goat, maybe they should have done more than just put a warning sign up.

If NASA knew that a metoer was going to strike a specific location, and all they did was put a warning sign up rather than evacuating people, maybe that would be reasonable to sue them.