Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/12/2011 13:49:33 MDT Print View

I'm sure someone will be able to come up with one within 30 seconds of meeting you also.

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
bear bag on 09/14/2011 09:30:04 MDT Print View

Ken,....lol
BTW, I saw a couple Ursacks on eBay which end today incase anyone here wanted to go that route? Cheers!

Jacob D
(JacobD) - F

Locale: North Bay
Carpool? Anyone coming up I-5 from South Bay or further south? on 09/14/2011 10:00:46 MDT Print View

If anyone would like to carpool, or you already have one going and you're heading up I-5 past Stockton I would be grateful to share a ride/expenses.

I also don't mind being the driver for a carpool if anyone wants to jump off in this area, but I'm not quite 100% committed to the trip (yet) so I'm a little hesitant to offer that up if it means I might leave anyone hanging without a ride.

If you have thoughts either way, lemme know!
Jacob.

Erik Dietz
(erikdtz)

Locale: Los Angeles
driving up north from LA on 09/14/2011 10:33:15 MDT Print View

If I can swing this I'll be driving up from LA on the 5, early friday morning. I can fit three other people in my car (snug fit) and gear shouldn't be a problem. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/14/2011 10:58:15 MDT Print View

This is shaping up to be quite the gathering.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: bear bag on 09/14/2011 13:48:05 MDT Print View

I'll be bringing my Ursack. The deer and squirrels are relentless. There are bear around too.

The next four weeks will go by slow I think. Excited!

nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
Friday afternoon departure? on 09/16/2011 13:52:26 MDT Print View

This thread got huge while I wasn't watching. Just checking in on others' current thinking about a Friday afternoon/evening departure. Earlier on, Ken H. and I had talked about leaving after work (maybe at 2 or so, but that would be trickier for me) on Friday, camping at the trailhead, then hiking Sat and Sun. I'm still up for that. If Ken H. is out, I might be able to drive, leaving from SF or the East Bay.

My preference would be trailhead camp on Friday night, wake up early and high-tail it to make it to the lakes and then back to Morris Meadow on Saturday, then hike out on Sunday.

Respond here or pm me if interested in that schedule.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Friday afternoon departure? on 09/16/2011 14:21:19 MDT Print View

For those of you hiking in on Sat. The base camp at Morris Meadow will be easy for you to see from the trail once you get to the meadow. The abundance of UL shelters in one area will be a dead give away. Hammocks, and Moments, and Duomids Oh my!

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/17/2011 21:12:04 MDT Print View

Since I am pretty sure our numbers are greater than 10, I need a volunteer to secure a second wilderness permit as groups are limited to 10.

Stephan Doyle
(StephanCal)
Re: Friday afternoon departure? on 09/17/2011 22:31:15 MDT Print View

Nathan, I'm interested in this timeline.

Do you have a mileage/elevation estimate on this btw?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/17/2011 22:43:09 MDT Print View

Some facts.

29 mile round trip, out and back to Sapphire Lake. About 7 miles in to base camp at Morris Meadow.

Elevation change 4240 feet, average 292 feet per mile. It's not hard.

Elevation at trailhead about 3000 feet. Elevation at Sapphire just over 6000 feet.

Plenty of clean, cold, clear water all along the way.

Soul patch
(mtblack) - F
Re: Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/18/2011 00:23:57 MDT Print View

Ken, what's the simplest way for me to get this? Is it available online?

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/18/2011 08:27:20 MDT Print View

@Matt. What exactly are you looking for? I haven't had coffee yet , but I'll guess permits. These are available at the Forest Service in Weaverville.

I can actually pick one up. I just need a name and a license number to put on one.

Edited by kthompson on 09/18/2011 09:18:13 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/18/2011 09:41:40 MDT Print View

@ Matt. Thanks.

Jim Carr
(jcarr) - F

Locale: Humboldt County
Permit on 09/18/2011 10:52:50 MDT Print View

I can pick up a permit if Matt cannot.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Permit on 09/18/2011 11:18:28 MDT Print View

Thanks Jim. We are covered.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/20/2011 19:29:35 MDT Print View

Soooooooo, if I fly in Thursday, who might give me a ride to wherever we're supposed to be and where would I need to fly in to?

And whoever answers that, what time should I fly out Sunday to ensure I can actually get to the airport on time?

Or would it just be easier to fly in and rent a car? And if so, what the closest airport?

I know, lots of questions. But so far I've seen 3 different airports mentioned, and I'm old and easily confused. Any help for your elders is greatly appreciated.

Katharina ....
(Kat_P) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Coast
Doug on 09/20/2011 19:33:38 MDT Print View

Fly into LAX around midnight. We'll come pick you up there. Don't worry if we're a little late.

Edited by Kat_P on 09/20/2011 19:34:20 MDT.

James McDaniel
(BigEarth) - F
Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/20/2011 19:39:54 MDT Print View

There are a few people on this thread offering rides from the SF area.

My plan:

My flight arrives in SFO at 11:00am Thurs and fly out Monday at noon. I just plan on getting a hotel Sunday night in SF and not stressing over flights.

I'm going to James's office when he gets off work and ride up with him. I'll take the BART/walk/taxi whatever around SFO till he gets off work. Killing time in SF sounds like a great way to spend some time.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Re: Trinity Alps, Morris Meadow Octoberfest on 09/20/2011 20:34:57 MDT Print View

@ Doug. I would guess that Oakland would be your best bet for convenience, all considered.