Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » .65oz/yd - 8d nylon taffeta fabric - FOR SALE --- $6/yd

Display Avatars Sort By:
jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: ETA? on 08/19/2011 08:18:06 MDT Print View

Okay, I guess it's worth a gamble for 5 yards, I'll update the spreadsheet

z jack
(zoharj) - F
Update on 08/19/2011 11:34:57 MDT Print View

Hello everybody,

I am backing out of operation and passing it over to Josh. He is now in contact with the supplier and is finalizing the details of the order.

Josh is changing the order. Instead of 2 oil cires he is requesting one side oil cire plus a coating that stabilizes the weave. This keeps one side shiny, and one side softer, and dull. In his opinion it is better than 2 oil cires.

As for color I have chosen 2B8E1F. Go to http://www.perbang.dk/rgb/000000/ to view the color. If there are any objections post it to the form.

With Josh's changes the price may go up to $6.50 a yard. If this is a problem then remove yourself from the spreadsheet.

Additionally we are not limited to 100 yards, so if anyone would like to order more go for it.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Locale: SE, USA
Re: Update on 08/19/2011 14:05:35 MDT Print View

Zohar,

Thanks again for getting this started. I'm still in even if the price ends up north of $6/yard. I'm hopeful this cooperative effort will turn out well for all of us.

Good choice handing it off to Josh to handle finalizing the order. I trust his expertise and feel we are in good hands based on the superiority of the SevenD fabric sample he sent me.

The color you posted is fine with me, but based on Josh's post this mill deals with Pantone Textile Paper eXtended (TPX) numbers and not hex numbers.

EDIT: By some math calculation there are two TPX colors matching 94% to the color you posted. They are 17-6153 TPX "Fern Green" and 17-0145 TPX "Online Lime".

It seems we need to consense on one. Below, Ryan likes "Online Line." I'm good with that too. If there are any blocks please provide a specific counter-proposal.

Edited by deGuerre on 08/19/2011 19:53:47 MDT.

Ryan Smith
(ViolentGreen) - M

Locale: Southeast
Re: Re: Update on 08/19/2011 15:05:53 MDT Print View

I vote online lime between the two, but am completely fine with either one.

Ryan

Stephen Bodiya
(stephen@bodiya.com) - F

Locale: Michigan
ETA? on 08/19/2011 22:10:52 MDT Print View

I might be interested in a few yards. Still mulling it over whether I should cave in and buy even more fabric at the moment!!!

If there is any idea of an ETA please let me know, I might be able to convince myself to give in by the deadline :)

Stephen Chan
(syc168) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Still in. on 08/19/2011 22:14:30 MDT Print View

I'm guessing that "Josh" is Josh Leavitt and not Joshua Gray? I'm still in, and I have a preference for Online Lime, but either is fine.

I've added an extra yard to my order since I don't want to come up short on the quilt material.

Edited by syc168 on 08/22/2011 20:45:29 MDT.

Greg Foster
(thefost) - MLife
I'll take 5 on 08/20/2011 21:37:02 MDT Print View

Added myself to the spreadsheet for 5 yards. Thanks for doing this!

Joshua Gray
(coastalhiker) - MLife
Re: Still in. on 08/20/2011 22:10:36 MDT Print View

Yep Josh Leavitt, not me.

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
Re: Re: Re: Update on 08/23/2011 18:40:55 MDT Print View

I vote online lime too.

A. B.
(tomswifty)
stupid question on 08/23/2011 19:48:30 MDT Print View

Maybe this is a stupid question. I had thought taffeta was primarily for next to skin applications, e.g. inside of a quilt. I had also thought black was preferred for it's thermal (?) properties. At the very least, black should dry out faster in sunlight?

Don't get me wrong, I like to be different. But wouldn't it make sense to be different on the outside of the gear?

Maybe I am way off base on the applications you all have in mind.

Tim Marshall
(MarshLaw303) - MLife

Locale: Minnesota
Re: stupid question on 08/24/2011 06:57:01 MDT Print View

when you look at these Chinese listings they call everything (that we'd want) taffeta. some they call ripstop taffeta which is great for messing with my head. Taffeta will work just fine as both shell and liner of a quilt, as does ripstop. with these lightweight fabrics the ridges of the ripstop weave aren't noticeable to the touch like they are in 70D ripstop. Without the ripstop weave there is a slight possibility of a running tear but at 7-15D we are talking about some light fabric where even the ripstop grid doesn't do a lot to protect them, treat them nice!

-Tim

Brad Groves
(4quietwoods) - MLife

Locale: Michigan
Still open? on 08/25/2011 12:59:05 MDT Print View

I put myself down for ten yards... if there's going to be an order of 2-300 yards or something, I might pick up another couple yards-

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Re: Still open? on 08/25/2011 13:18:30 MDT Print View

Brad,

From Zohar's posts it looks like we're not limited to 100 yards, but instead the order will be placed for exactly however many yards there are buyers for. Do consider that this fabric is untested by us and that Josh has said that he wasn't very happy when dealing with this mill previously.

You may want to be conservative in your order this go-round. That's my strategy.

If this fabric turns out on spec and further doesn't suffer from something like stitch hole elongation, it would be prudent for a distributor to the MYOG community such as Ti-Goat, OWFInc., or DIYGearSupply to place a big old order and offer it to us retail. If it turns out to be a dud, well, then we all took a small share of the total risk and all learned a relatively inexpensive lesson. For now it's just a waiting game until we hear back from Josh or Zohar that the order has been finalized to their satisfaction and the ETA of the fabric stateside.

Sumi Wada
(DetroitTigerFan) - F

Locale: Ann Arbor
So... on 08/30/2011 10:36:41 MDT Print View

Is this happening? Soon??

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
bump on 09/02/2011 14:35:26 MDT Print View

good question?

Jakob Riemer
(ReimarHimself) - F
Still possible to order? on 09/02/2011 17:21:57 MDT Print View

If it's still possible to order, and if someone is willing to bag it and send it to Denmark (at my expense of course), i'm in for 10 yards. I vote for the online green, though i would have liked a darker colour that dries out faster in the sun (but that's not up to me at this late point).

Thanks

(Updated the spreadsheet)

Edited by ReimarHimself on 09/02/2011 17:30:12 MDT.

Pilate de Guerre
(deGuerre) - F

Update from Titanium Goat on 09/03/2011 10:32:31 MDT Print View

Via email from DJ at Titatnium Goat:

"Hi Pilate,
The 8D has been ordered and is in production. Barring complications it should be available in about 4 weeks.
DJ"

Stephen Chan
(syc168) - F

Thanks! on 09/03/2011 20:58:47 MDT Print View

Pilate - thanks for following up, I was thinking that maybe someone should contact Josh directly.

Kevin Ridge
(Dblcorona)

Locale: Southeast MI
Update? on 09/29/2011 14:57:06 MDT Print View

Just wanted to bump this up and see if we have any updates.

Stephen Chan
(syc168) - F

I sent Josh a PM... on 10/02/2011 11:12:46 MDT Print View

...asking if there was any news. It looks like he should have just returned from a hiking trip. Or has DJ picked up this project?