Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » My winter bivy with a porch

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Locale: New England
My winter bivy with a porch on 08/08/2011 20:28:13 MDT Print View

This was my first MYOG project completely from scratch. I did my homework in the MYOG forum for a few months and then last december tackled a fully enclosed winter bivy with a storm porch/awning. I plan to use the bivy for two uses, first as my inner tent under a GoLite SL2, second and more exciting I want to use it as a stand alone shelter on fast and light trips where a small weather time table requires speed and therefore a very minimal, light and simple kit. The trip I have in mind as an example is a winter presidential traverse, 17-19 miles depending on route mostly above tree line. The statistical weather in the winter is 2 out of 3 days will have nasty weather... So if you get a good weather window you have to hit it hard quickly.

So here are the materials and dimensions. The bivy is a wedge 1'-8" at the foot 2'-6" at the top by 8'-6" long by 8.75" tall. The bathtub floor is 1.1 silnylon the top is M90. The porch is an additional piece of M90 8" wide x apx. 12" along the head and then 3-4' down one side. The porch has two tie outs (one at the top corner and one at the bottom by the end of the zipper) that attach to my hiking poles driven into the snow. Picture the porch over your front door. A water proof zipper runs 3' from the head down under the "porch". I pitch it as a solo shelter by digging a 9' x 4' (top) x 2' (bottom) x 2' deep hole and bury my hiking poles about half way in snow. The two tie outs have zPack tensioners. The tie outs serve two purposes, it gets the top fabric away from my head, and tensions the porch. I haven't had to yet, but I should be able to cook under the porch regardless of what weather is going on. The bivy is also long enough to fit my winter pack in the inside at my head as a pillow.

Final weight is 10 oz including seam sealing. Packs down to a little larger than a softball.

Edited by earn_my_turns on 08/09/2011 18:40:03 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Yes, better pictures... on 08/08/2011 21:06:13 MDT Print View

are in order.

John West
(skyzo) - F

Locale: Borah Gear
Cool on 08/08/2011 21:52:20 MDT Print View

Im really interested in this, but can't really even tell whats going on in that picture

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
great idea on 08/09/2011 04:16:53 MDT Print View

great idea, but we need some action shots.

Dave

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

Sorry... on 08/09/2011 06:31:40 MDT Print View

I will get some better shots tonight, no snow though, you have to wait about 5 months for that. I will also make my random babbling from last night make a little more sense. Too much going on this week, I have a big project at work and am about to go on vacation. Stay with me...

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

better photos on 08/09/2011 18:30:47 MDT Print View

wide shot
wide shotfake snow fake snow with a scary winter monster for scaleclose upclose up of the porch area

Jeremy Osburn
(earn_my_turns)

and compressed on 08/09/2011 18:32:38 MDT Print View

compressed to pack compressed and ready to pack.

I think the only thing I might add, after a few more uses, is another tie out or two that connect to the main two lines to add a little tension to the porch.